Spam

Mark Sutherland

Sep 6, 2009, 2:33:06 PM9/6/09
to code...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guys,

I just noticed how much spam the list has been getting recently, it
seems gmail has successfully swallowed it all so it was only while
visiting the groups page that it became obvious. Should we do
something about it? It probably doesn't look very good for potential
new members (I'm planning on mentioning the groups on
startupcafe.co.uk in a couple of days, so you never know, it could
happen!). Any thoughts?

Mark

Graeme Mathieson

Sep 7, 2009, 3:38:20 AM9/7/09
to code...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As the admin for the ScotRUG group[1], all I do is have new members
moderated by default. The downside is that a genuine poster has to get
their posting bit set by me the first time they attempt to post, but
it successfully nukes all the spam while not being too onerous.

PS, if you're doing a spotlight on local coding user groups, please
feel free to mention ScotRUG too! :-)

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/scotrug just in case you didn't know!
--
Graeme Mathieson
Managing Director

Follow us on Twitter: <http://twitter.com/rubaidh> and <http://twitter.com/mathie

Web Site: <http://rubaidh.com/>
Blog: <http://woss.name/>
Telephone: +44 (0)131 273 5271
Mobile: +44 (0)7949 0777 44

Rubaidh Ltd is a limited company registered in Scotland with
registration number SC297029 and VAT number GB 916 0341 53. The
registered address is: Stuart House, Eskmills, Musselburgh, East
Lothian, EH21 7PB, United Kingdom.

Thomas Figg

Sep 7, 2009, 5:58:11 AM9/7/09
to code...@googlegroups.com
2009/9/7 Graeme Mathieson <mat...@rubaidh.com>:

> As the admin for the ScotRUG group[1], all I do is have new members
> moderated by default.

Done, ta

-- tef