hosting annual conference

Joshua Gomez

Feb 21, 2014, 2:58:50 PM2/21/14
to code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
At yesterday's meeting we discussed putting in a proposal to host the next code4lib annual conference (Feb 2015) here in LA.  The proposal is due March 12th, which is very soon. I'm going to send a message to the code4lib conference planning committee that we are working on a proposal, which might buy us a little extra time.  For those of you interested in working on this, I would suggest joining the Google Group code4libcon.  For those of you not interested, just ignore this thread. If our proposal is selected, the planning discussions will move to the code4libcon group instead of this one.

I believe we had at least a half dozen people seriously interested in working on this. I suggest we spend next week discussing the idea with our respective administrators, brainstorming locations, getting ballpark estimates/quotes, and then meet up on Thursday or Friday to discuss our results and start putting together a proposal document.  If you see a flaw in this idea, please correct me.  If you think it sounds reasonable, let us know if you'll be free to meet up next week in person or virtually.

I'm free to meet in person daytime or evening on Thursday and Friday.

I plan on scouting out locations around USC and downtown.  I assume the Getty and UCLA folks will scout out the west side.  I think Pasadena was also a good idea. Anybody want to tackle that?

Christina Gammell Salazar

Feb 21, 2014, 4:20:39 PM2/21/14
to code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention yesterday too that CSU San Marcos offered to host, though no library staff there has time to dedicate to helping plan (they're in the midst of implementing Alma), so I'm not sure how that'd work or IF it'd work. And if you, like me, don't know where CSUSM actually IS, San Marcos is not too far from Oceanside (we could do a C4L trip to LegoLand!). It COULD be a better venue than CI because it's actually IN San Marcos, whereas CI is actually 5 miles out from Camarillo.

(Please ignore my personal e-mail address while I try to figure out how to set up this Group to go to my work address - christin...@csuci.edu )

declan.fleming

Feb 22, 2014, 11:26:30 AM2/22/14
to code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
Hiya - I'm willing to help too.  Wish we could fit it on the UCSD campus, but I just got done with the 100 person Hydra Connect meeting here and we barely fit.

Cabrera Thompson, Chris

Feb 22, 2014, 2:39:18 PM2/22/14
to declan.fleming, code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I'll be presenting at  GLADcamp in early march (Drupal Camp) and can pay a visit to the Pasadena Hilton sooner if need be.  did we ever hear from our CalTech friends?

I am a fan of Pasadena and think that it would be a great location too!

Chris, ucla library

Sent from my iPad

Joshua Gomez

Mar 4, 2014, 12:56:57 PM3/4/14
to code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
Below is an estimate I got from the folks at Marriot. No dice on the L.A. Live building, but they can offer us Manhattan Beach at a good price!

I responded and asked him if the building can accommodate 200+ rooms instead of 100.

-J

----------

Hello Joshua.

I’m Ben Stinnett’s partner in crime and am partnering with him on Code4Lib’s 2015 Conference.  Ben gave me some additional details regarding your program that have helped me in looking for and obtaining what you and your attendees need for this particular conference.

Regretfully, the following hotels are unable to accommodate Code4Lib’s 2015 Conference:

·         JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
·         Marina del Rey Marriott

However, this hotel IS able to accommodate your program:

·         Manhattan Beach Marriott

Below is a brief snapshot of what we can offer Code4Lib for your 2015 Conference.

·       Manhattan Beach Marriott Hotel
o   Photos and Additional Information About the Hotel and Surrounding Area:  http://vfmii.com/exc/aspquery?command=invoke&ipid=1072968&ids=128407&tids=0
o   Dates/Room Block/Discounted Group Rate:
§  Sunday:  40 rooms
§  Monday:  100 rooms
§  Tuesday:  100 rooms
§  Wednesday:  100 rooms
§  Thursday:  30 rooms
§  Discounted Group Rate(s):
·         Arrival on 2/22/15 (SUN) and departure on 2/27/15 (FRI):  $164.00
·         Arrival on 3/8/15 (SUN) and departure on 3/13/15 (FRI):  $164.00
·         Arrival on 3/15/15 (SUN) and departure on 3/20/15 (FRI):  $159.00
·         Our standard/regular rates at this hotel (mid-week) are typically priced at $259-$269.  So, your attendees are getting group rates that are $95-$110 off of our regular rates.
o   Meeting Space:
§  MONDAY:
·         Breakouts (4):  Room 200A, Room 200B, Room 211, and Room 215
§  TUESDAY – THURSDAY:
·         General Session:  Manhattan Ballroom
·         Breakout Space:
o   Manhattan Ballroom splits into 2 equal sections.  During the group’s break, we can pull the airwall between Manhattan Ballroom, Salons A &B and reuse the General Session as either 1 or 2 separate breakouts.
o   Parkview
o   Let me know if you’re group requires additional breakout space.
·         Meal Space:  Lakeview Lawns & Patio (outdoor space with a beautiful view of our Executive Golf Course)
·         Indoor Back Up Meal Space:  Terrace Ballroom
o   Special Concessions:
§  Waived meeting room rental, however, a hosted/catered Food & Beverage minimum of $50,000.00++ will be required.
§  20% allowable guest room attrition.
§  Group rate will be honored three (3) days pre/post program dates, based upon availability.
§  One (1) complimentary room night for every fifty (50) revenue-generating room nights occupied on a cumulative basis.
§  One (1) Suite upgrade at the group rate (arrival SUN; departure FRI).
§  Three (3) Concierge Level upgrades at the group rate (arrival SUN; departure FRI).
§  Complimentary high speed internet access in the guest rooms for all overnight attendees for our basic “High Speed” option.  If our “Enhanced High Speed” option is needed, it will be $2.00 per room, per night.  Current rates and options are as follows:
·         High Speed:  To be used for checking emails, general web browsing, etc. for $13.95 per room, per day.
·         Enhanced High Speed:  To be used for video chatting, downloading large files, streaming video (Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc.) for $15.95 per room, per day.
§  10% discount off of total catered/banquet Food & Beverage spend (exclusive of alcohol, sales tax, & service charge) once minimum has been met.
§  10% discount off of Audio/Visual equipment, excluding labor, if the Hotel is sole provider for Code4Lib’s Audio/Visual needs.
o   Please note that guest rooms and meeting space being offered in this proposal to Code4Lib are not being held at this time.

I know you need to submit proposals by 3/12/14 and will be voting on a venue during the week of 3/14/14 – 3/21/14 (leading up to your 2014 Conference in Raleigh).

I don’t know what other cities/states are vying for Code4Lib’s 2015 Conference, but Ben and I are hopeful that the Manhattan Beach Marriott will prove to be the best option on the table!  Let us know what the next steps are and if there is anything else you need from us prior to submitting and voting on proposals for Code4Lib’s 2015 Conference!  Thanks again for your consideration Joshua, as we want your business!

P.S.  As you will see in our banquet/catering menus, our Boxed Lunches are $36++ per person.  Our buffet lunches range anywhere from $44++ – $58++ per person (depending on what you choose).  If those buffet lunch prices are within your group’s budget, click on our menus to see what those options consist of.

Kurt Endo
Senior Sales Manager, Southwest Group Sales

Marriott International

Salazar, Christina

Mar 4, 2014, 4:15:10 PM3/4/14
to Joshua Gomez, code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
Hey

I'm looking at both the Pasadena proposal that Cary shared and this one. I think we're moving forward well.

A couple things: for some reason psychologically $159 per night for a hotel is kind of my cap and when my boss saw I was going to spend that much in N Carolina he thought it was a bit much too so I'm just saying we want to watch those nightly rates.

Josh: Can you ask if there's a shuttle or public transportation to the manhattan beach Marriott? I like the idea of being in pasadena better (better weather in March) but I think Manhattan Beach might be more convenient from the airport.

Otherwise I think we might be ready to hold a date and draft our proposal to C4L.

Christina
Sent from my iPhone

Joshua Nathan Gomez

Mar 4, 2014, 6:22:39 PM3/4/14
to code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com

To be honest I'm not very excited about the Manhattan Beach option. Let's face it, unless you're actually on the sand, Manhattan Beach really means El Segundo. There's not much around there in terms of restaurants and pubs. I think Pasadena is a much better option. Convenience to the airport is a minor advantage compared to convenience to good food and alcohol.

Also, the guy at the Marriot said the hotel rate would increase by $5/night if we wanted to reserve 200 instead of 100 rooms.

Joshua Gomez
Library Systems Programmer
University of Southern California

Mar 4, 2014, 6:51:55 PM3/4/14
to Joshua Nathan Gomez, code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
Bear in mind that everything is negotiable, and we will get to that.

I agree about MB.

I have also reached out to the Westin in Pasadena, and expect to get something from them soon. Unfortunately, the Langham is out of our league.

Are we okay with the availability at the Pasadena Hilton?

Monday Feb 16-Thursday Feb 19,2015   $159 Group room rate
Monday March 9-Thursday March 12     $169 Group room rate.

We should ask for a hold if we are.

Thanks,

Cary

Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company
11664 National Blvd. 143
Los Angeles, CA 90064
310-397-2999 (voice)
http://chillco.com

I don’t know what other cities/states are vying for Code4Lib’s 2015 Conference, but Ben and I are hopeful that theManhattan Beach Marriott will prove to be the best option on the table!  Let us know what the next steps are and if there is anything else you need from us prior to submitting and voting on proposals for Code4Lib’s 2015 Conference!  Thanks again for your consideration Joshua, as we want your business!

P.S.  As you will see in our banquet/catering menus, our Boxed Lunches are $36++ per person.  Our buffet lunches range anywhere from $44++ – $58++ per person (depending on what you choose).  If those buffet lunch prices are within your group’s budget, click on our menus to see what those options consist of.

Kurt Endo
Senior Sales Manager, Southwest Group Sales

Marriott International

signature.asc

Gary Thompson

Mar 4, 2014, 6:57:16 PM3/4/14
to code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
FYI: Feb. 16, 2015 Presidents Day. I would say it doesn't matter, and that we should hold those dates. Does anyone else think we should proceed with that date? Or not?

The UCLA Library Cabinet (upper management) is considering taking on a host role. I'll have more details by Thursday, along with more information about campus venues. The dates for an on-campus would have to be March 23-26.

Sounds like we may have some good options.

Cheers,
--Gary
--
-- Gary Thompson
-- Head of Software Development and Project Management

Joshua Nathan Gomez

Mar 4, 2014, 7:09:13 PM3/4/14
to Gary Thompson, code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com

I agree that you should go ahead and request a hold from the Pasadena Hilton. Go for the cheaper February rates. I think Feb is generally cheaper than March for airfare. And the conference is traditionally held in Feb anyway.

What do you think of making it Tues-Fri instead, because of the 3 day weekend?

Joshua Gomez
Library Systems Programmer
University of Southern California

Mar 4, 2014, 7:28:36 PM3/4/14
to jouchida, code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com, Joshua Nathan Gomez
I am stepping out of this. I think that we have too many folks in the mix.

Thanks,

Cary

signature.asc

gomezjn

Mar 4, 2014, 7:36:20 PM3/4/14
to Cary Gordon, code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
I wish you wouldn't since you have more experience with this than any of
the rest of us. As Gary and I already said, we think you should go ahead
and request a hold from the Hilton. Gary will continue to scope out UCLA
as both a host and potential site. Then we can narrow down from there on
Thursday. If you think we only need those two options, then we can drop
all other avenues of inquiry right now.

-Josh

On 03/04/2014 04:28 PM, Cary Gordon wrote:
> I am stepping out of this. I think that we have too many folks in the mix.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cary
>
> Cary Gordon
> The Cherry Hill Company
> 11664 National Blvd. 143
> Los Angeles, CA 90064
> 310-397-2999 (voice)
> http://chillco.com
>

> On Mar 4, 2014, at 4:23 PM, jouchida <jouc...@gmail.com
> <mailto:jouc...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> I just got off the phone with Westin and said we were targeting less
>> than $160/night for the week of Feb 23. Hopefully they'll get a quote
>> in today or tomorrow.
>>
>> --Joyce
>>
>> On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:51:55 PM UTC-8, cgordon wrote:
>>
>> Bear in mind that everything is negotiable, and we will get to that.
>>
>> I agree about MB.
>>
>> I have also reached out to the Westin in Pasadena, and expect to
>> get something from them soon. Unfortunately, the Langham is out of
>> our league.
>>
>> Are we okay with the availability at the Pasadena Hilton?
>>
>> Monday Feb 16-Thursday Feb 19,2015 $159 Group room rate
>> Monday March 9-Thursday March 12 $169 Group room rate.
>>
>> We should ask for a hold if we are.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Cary
>>
>> Cary Gordon
>> The Cherry Hill Company
>> 11664 National Blvd. 143
>> Los Angeles, CA 90064
>> 310-397-2999 (voice)
>> http://chillco.com <http://chillco.com/>

jouchida

Mar 4, 2014, 7:53:12 PM3/4/14
to code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com, Cary Gordon
Sorry, I should have posted the inquiries I have been making. I sent RFPs in to Westin and Sheraton last Thursday or Friday, and Westin left a voicemail yesterday when I wasn't in the office, so I followed up with them today giving them more details about the conference. I have not heard back from Sheraton.

I had sent in an RFP to the Pasadena Convention Center a week or so ago and never heard back from them, and was not planning to follow up due to Cary's mentioning how expensive they are.

--Joyce

Gary Thompson

Mar 4, 2014, 8:09:38 PM3/4/14
to code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
+1 to Cary not stepping out.

Cary, I would be grateful if you just join us on our Hangouts and advise
us. You're experience has already clarified some issues for me. A couple
of my suggestions last Friday were somewhat complicated, and your advice
helped keep us from following those threads.

I hope you'll reconsider. But if not, thank you for the help so far.

Thanks,
--Gary
--
-- Gary Thompson
-- Head of Software Development and Project Management
-- Digital Initiatives & Information Technology
-- UCLA Library
-- 390 Powell
-- voice: 310.206.5652
--

---

Cary Gordon

Mar 4, 2014, 8:18:22 PM3/4/14
to code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
Per Josh's request, I have put a hold on the Pasadena Hilton for the week of February 15th. They know that we might either run Monday through Thursday or Tuesday through Friday.

The Pasadena Sheraton is not a suitable venue.

I recommend that we do not get into the weeds. There is little upside to discussing specifics at this point.

The folks at the Hilton understand that our hold is pending the acceptance of our proposal, and that we will not be moving forward until next month, after this year's Con.
signature.asc

Cabrera Thompson, Chris

Mar 4, 2014, 10:18:28 PM3/4/14
to Cary Gordon, code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
Great news. Thanks Cary!

Sent from my iPad

Cary Gordon

Mar 11, 2014, 5:12:23 PM3/11/14
to code4lib-l...@googlegroups.com
Are we due for a call or meeting? Josh has been working on the proposal, while I have alternated between vandalizing and heckling. I know that we are awaiting input from Gary.

What’s next?

Thanks,

Cary

Gary Thompson