reporter request

Andrew Zaleski

Oct 29, 2014, 10:48:51 AM10/29/14
to code-for-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all,

Please forgive the intrusion of a journalist, but I'm hoping the Code for SF brigade can help me. This is Andrew Zaleski, a journalist with Philly-based online publication Next City. I'm currently finishing a Forefront feature article about open data in Philly (specifics below), but I'm wondering if I could chat with a Code for SF representative for this article.

This article focuses on two things, the first being what the future holds for open data in Philly since the real ramping up of those efforts in 2012 and in the aftermath of the departure of Mark Headd, the city's first CDO. The second is more applicable to you all: How to make open data efforts truly civic efforts by figuring out ways to make civic hacking something useful for all a city's residents, and not just those familiar with APIs and Github. So: I'd like to place Philly's work in context with what's being done in cities across the U.S., and so I was hoping we could talk about current San Fran efforts, particularly as they relate to projects you're all working on that really gets at the central question of this story: how to involve more of the public in figuring out what to do with open/civic data.

Feel free to give me a shout over email at ajza...@gmail.com. I'd love to get in touch.

Best,