good news re: open source in SF

Chris Jerdonek

Dec 11, 2014, 11:19:28 AM12/11/14
to code-for-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I wanted to share some good news coming out of the San Francisco Board
of Supervisors this week:

https://twitter.com/SFBetterElect/status/542952332263432192

This past Tuesday, December 9, the Board unanimously passed a
resolution supporting the creation of an open source voting system to
use for our City elections. The resolution was authored by Supervisor
Wiener and includes a provision to study what it would take for SF to
develop its own voting system, which could in turn be shared with
others. This is a path that more and more jurisdictions are starting
to follow (e.g. LA County and Travis County, TX).

Please share this news with people, companies, and organizations you
think might be interested, since news like this can be hard to come by
(and not necessarily covered by the media). And feel free to contact
me if you have questions, etc.

If you're interested, more details are below:

To watch the video proceedings from Tuesday, go here (the item goes
from 1:16:15 to 1:22:10):

http://sanfrancisco.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=10&clip_id=21604

And to watch the video of the item in committee from the previous
week, go here (the item goes from 27:20 to 58:00):

http://sanfrancisco.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=13&clip_id=21553

Lastly, to see a PDF of the resolution, go here and click on "Leg Ver 3":

https://sfgov.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1946783&GUID=0725E575-B05E-4137-B771-E8BFD5B98237

On that page you can also see a memo I circulated to the Rules
Committee that contains additional background information (e.g. two
news articles on the benefits of pursuing open source for elections).

Thanks a lot, and stay dry this week!

--Chris
San Francisco, CA