Child Care Search Tool

Donna Chan

May 21, 2014, 10:25:14 PM5/21/14
to code-for-sa...@googlegroups.com
IMPACT

Finding child care is one of the biggest pains for a parent. For many parents, child care is also a crucial aspect in allowing parents to return to work and support their families. Given families' varied needs (location, hours of operation, special needs, etc.), it can sometimes take months and years to find appropriate, quality child care. And there isn't a centralized place to easily and efficiently find comprehensive child care information - much less search for child care by the variables that matter most to parents.

A good child care search tool can help thousands of families in SF get the child care they need in order to support their families and get ahead.

SOLUTION + CALL TO ACTION

We need designers and developers to help create a compelling, user-friendly, and guided search tool that mimics the. In talking with child care experts and partnering with a city child care agency that can provide the most comprehensive child care data, this will be an incredibly impactful, desired solution for parents.

Please reply to this thread!

Nicholas Karl

May 22, 2014, 8:52:58 AM5/22/14
to code-for-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Donna,

If you get this off the ground, you should see if you can tie it into TrustLine. I don't think that will be easy because they only have 1-800 call-in access at the moment, but getting them to provide an API would be a good thing, IMHO.

Karl.

Rebecca Ackerman

May 22, 2014, 10:00:22 AM5/22/14
to Donna Chan, code-for-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Donna,

This is an issue the Code for America team in San Francisco worked on a bit last year. We can talk a bit, if you want - either on-thread or off. Are you affiliated with any child care agencies or the CCR&Rs?

Best,
-R

Donna Chan

May 22, 2014, 5:09:26 PM5/22/14
to Rebecca Ackerman, code-for-sa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Karl. Trustline is definitely something to build in later down the road. That way, we'd give parents a central place to get information not only on facilities (centers, family home centers) but also nannies/individual caretakers as well.

Rebecca, thanks for reaching out. I'd love to continue this conversation offline. I'll ping you at your email.