Google Groups Alternatives

Kyle Mitchell

Jan 21, 2015, 12:18:47 AM1/21/15
to code-for-sa...@googlegroups.com
At the last meetup, Jesse mentioned suggestions for an alternative to Google Groups.

The closest free alternative that I could think of is GNU Mailman, the free software for mailing lists. We could set that up on lists.codeforsanfrancisco.org or similar.

On the plus side, we'd be able to create sub-lists at will, say for different projects or teams.

On the downside, Google Groups' web interface for the message archive is probably more approachable for most people. We'd also need somewhere to host it. A $5/mo. Digital Ocean Linux machine would do.

Something like Slack might be more fun, and we might survive on their free plan for a while. (The limit is 10,000 messages.) I don't know that we qualify for a free non-profit account there.