When is the old server planned to shut down?

Mohammad A

Nov 18, 2021, 4:11:23 AM11/18/21
to codalab-competitions
Dear Codalab organizers,

We currently have an ongoing competition on the old servers with many participants and submitted runs. We strongly prefer to keep the current competition on the old server. Can you please let me know when you plan to shut it down? And is there any way of transferring all the submitted runs and the user information to the new server (so that we don't need to start everything from scratch)?

Many thanks,
Mohammad

Adrien Pavao

Nov 18, 2021, 4:34:01 AM11/18/21
to codalab-competitions
Dear Mohammad,

Don't worry. Actually we won't shut down the server, but rather disable the possibility to create new competitions.
So, as your competition is already up and running, you and your participants will still be able to use it until the end of the competition.

Anyway, we strongly recommend that you back up your work because some maintenance operations could be critical.

>>> And is there any way of transferring all the submitted runs and the user information to the new server (so that we don't need to start everything from scratch)?

This is a good question. Currently, there is not. If many users ask for it, we may try to find a way to "transfer" their accounts and data, but I think it is not easy to perform.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Best regards,

Adrien Pavao

ps. I've rewrite this email from scratch because I think I haven't clicked on "Reply All" so the previous message got lost.

Thomas Price

Feb 9, 2022, 12:05:33 PM2/9/22
to codalab-competitions
Hi Adrien,

I have a competition ongoing on the old server (codalab.org) and it will run until May 1. We just changed competition phases, so in theory I could migrate the competition to the new website; however, this may cause confusion and everyone would have to re-register. Ideally, It would be better to stay on the old server. Will the old server remain stable through May? You mentioned that "some maintenance operations could be critical" - does that mean that competition currently running on the old server may experience bugs or data loss? If so, we will plan to migrate, but if not I think it would be easier to stay on the old server. What do you recommend?

Thanks,
Thomas

Adrien Pavao

Feb 25, 2022, 10:01:02 AM2/25/22
to Thomas Price, codalab-competitions
Dear Thomas,

Sorry for the late reply. The old server is planned to be maintained for a while, and typically should be still working well until May, so everything should be OK regarding your competition.

We still advise users to move to the new server because it's faster, more stable, and will remain maintained in the future.

The planned maintenance operation that "could be critical" are mainly storage migration, we are still thinking about the procedures we want to apply.

Best regards,

Adrien