Code signing issue with using a binary xcframework Pod dependency.

Martin Jatho

Apr 21, 2021, 5:17:06 AM4/21/21
to CocoaPods

Hello CocoaPods family!

I have some code signing issue with using a binary xcframework Pod dependency.

I am working with an iPad app that needs to run on Macs with Apple Catalyst integration. For that reason we created a binary CocoaPods dependency containing a xcframework having the structure you can see in the attached image. The xcframework supports currently standard iOS, iOS simulator and intel catalyst architectures. When signing it manually and integrating it manually into the Xcode project it works perfectly.

Kernel-xcframework.png

When integrating the xcframework via CocoaPod the build process stumbles finally on signing „Kernel.xcframework“, because kernel_deps.a is not signed yet. I can fix this temporarily with signing kernel_deps.a manually in the DerivedData folder before starting the Xcode build, but that is not a permanent solution, of course.

I can see that the code_sign_if_enabled() function of the generated Pods-***-framework.sh file tries to sign „Kernel.xcframework“ and fails, because it doesn’t sign kernel_deps.a before. When i disable code signing via the Pods-***-framework.sh Xcode ends up with a similar problem. Is there any solution for this issue?

I am aware, that CocoaPods was designed primarily for non binary dependency handling. Since our dependency has a pretty long building time we prefer here to work with a binary dependency.

I am using CocoaPods version 1.10.1.

Best, Martin