Standard formatter available?

Garry Brother

Oct 15, 2013, 10:50:52 AM10/15/13
to cocoalu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm new to CocoaLumberjack and very much like its features.  Do you you provide any out-of-the-box  formatters?  I'm looking for what I'd call a "standard" log format showing a timestamp, the name of the file, name of the method and (if possible) line number at which the log message was generated.  Many of the Java logging frameworks provide such standard formatters.  Yes?

Thanks, Garry

Robbie Hanson

Oct 15, 2013, 12:11:38 PM10/15/13
to cocoalu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary,

CocoaLumberjack comes with a few out-of-the-box formatters:

The out-of-the-box formatters provide features like:
- filtering log messages based on context
- logging dispatch queue names instead of thread IDs

However, if you're looking for a "standard" formatter, then these may not be what you're looking for. CocoaLumberjack doesn't come with a "standard" formatter because it makes creating your own formatter so darn easy. Check out this wiki article:

The wiki article has example code that sets up something similar to what you're looking for. You can likely just copy the sample code, and then tweak it to match what you're looking for.

Hope that helps.
-Robbie Hanson

Garry Brother

Oct 15, 2013, 2:18:56 PM10/15/13
to cocoalu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robbie,

Ok, thanks, I'll check out the CustomFormatters article and see what I can do.

Garry