Next Meeting: Thursday, May 9th

MZG

May 6, 2019, 10:58:21 AM5/6/19
to CocoaHeadsNYC
Hello all!

Our next meeting will be Thursday, May 9th.

Demitri Muna will be speaking about something near and dear to me, collection views and custom flow layouts that enable some pretty fun things! I am excited.

We will be at the FB office, so you'll need to fill out this Google Form in order to ensure entry into the building. https://forms.gle/Vvw5ykSfafqDhnN37

Thanks!

Colin Taylor

May 6, 2019, 12:22:34 PM5/6/19
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
Damn sounds interesting and I’m not going to be able to make it this month.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CocoaHeadsNYC" group.

MZG

May 9, 2019, 4:18:59 PM5/9/19
to CocoaHeadsNYC
See everyone tonight!

Robert Clair

May 9, 2019, 6:12:31 PM5/9/19
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
Subway issues. May bra few minutes late

First we get Moose and Squirrel.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CocoaHeadsNYC" group.

Demitri Muna

May 15, 2019, 11:06:50 AM5/15/19
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I wanted to post a link of the project that was discussed at the last CocoaHeads meeting:

https://github.com/demitri/CenteringCollectionViewFlowLayout

It’s a stripped down example of how to implement a “modern” NSCollectionView with a custom layout. I tried to get the layout transitions to animate, escalating it to an Apple Developer Support incident, but was basically told, “we’re aiming to reproduce the functionality of UICollectionView… but we’re not there yet.”

Cheers,
Demitri

kvndy

May 22, 2019, 9:29:50 PM5/22/19
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com

> I tried to get the layout transitions to animate, escalating it to an Apple Developer Support incident, but was basically told, “we’re aiming to reproduce the functionality of UICollectionView… but we’re not there yet.”

What a f###ing joke.

I admittedly haven't tried out NSCollectionView since 10.5, when it was, shall we say, not very good. But I remember they revamped it, maybe five years ago, to match the UICollectionView API. Do I remember correctly?

Frankly, UICollectionView failed to meet my animation demands as well. They weren't even able to conceive of the uses for animation I was attempting, for example on scroll, which they eventually copied for Messages.app on iOS.

Is the problem that they more or less completely abandoned development on AppKit?

Or is the problem cultural? I endured a lot from Apple employees and developers on Freenode and could attest to that.

The API may not support what I would do, perhaps requiring swizzling and subclassing, and I cannot be specific since I abandoned Mac development long ago. But if I were you, I would animate relatively. That is, I would use additive animations with a destination value of zero. I developed this pattern precisely for animating a flow layout like this.

It is important that on resize items only animate position when the number of columns change. Otherwise, item position should instantly change along with the mouse event. Relative animation works well for this.

I am not sure what I would do when switching from your regular to mini sized items, I would have to experiment. But if performance, code complexity, or time constraints prohibit it, relative animation also works well with instant changes to width in cases like this, an acceptable compromise.

There is also plenty that could be done with staggering, but that is much too involved to speculate about.

Fun stuff!