Aussie-built Parse migration option launch

David McLauchlan

Oct 18, 2016, 5:17:34 AM10/18/16
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone:

I wanted to let you all know that today Buddy launched what we believe to be the most scalable, feature-rich Parse offering on the market. If you have built apps on Parse and need to migrate them off by early next year, please do take a look at what we’ve got.

Back at the beginning of this year, when Facebook announced their plans to shut down Parse, I reached out to my contacts there, and we ultimately ended up being invited down to Facebook HQ in California to discuss Buddy rolling out a fully scaled, full-featured Parse offering (with help from the Facebook team to walk us through that process). Note that this isn’t just hosted “Parse Server” – we’ve gone and added back much of the functionality that is missing from Parse Server.

We’ve spent the past few months testing with various sized apps and today have launched the product. I’m stoked to share that this project has been 95% delivered by our Adelaide team, so we can also offer dev support in AU timezones. Features that we support, or will roll out this week include:

·       Cloud code

·       Push notification support

·       PPNS

·       Jobs

·       Sessions

·       Role-based security

·       Custom schemas

·       Webhooks

·       Multiple apps per developer account

And I think we did a pretty darn good job of making the product feel exactly the like and feel of “original Parse”. We even got the stamp of approval from the FB guys in California to use their logo, etc…

Migration couldn’t be easier – create an account, cut/paste a DB URL from Buddy into FB’s migration tool, and then point your app at our APIs instead of Parse’s.

We’re keeping pricing exactly the same as Parse, however since I asked the team to focus on feature parity first and billing last, we’re actually free right now with billing kicking in next month. However, whatever you’re paying for your Parse solution, you won’t pay any more on Buddy (and quite possibly a little less). Also, for those worried about stability, we recently listed on the ASX and are well resourced. We’re also committing to keeping the product up to date with advancements in the open source space too.

Anyhow – would love the Cocoaheads community to go take a look and any/all feedback would be really appreciated. You can create an account in about 15 seconds here: http://parse.buddy.com.

Thanks everyone,

Dave.

David McLauchlan