iOS Programmer, 3D, Database

Jonathan Harris

Apr 18, 2016, 7:18:06 AM4/18/16
to Australian Cocoaheads
An iOS contract programmer is required to join our team at JNH Software for the development of a specialized iPad app. The app will involve manipulation of 3D objects and data maintenance of a relational database.  Interested programmers should supply examples of their work on the app store that demonstrates your experience in these areas.

The successful applicant will work with our team to fine tune the design on an hourly rate.  Once the design is completed, the successful applicant will then quote a fixed price for the programming and delivery of the app.

Jonathan Harris

Sadat Rahman

Apr 18, 2016, 7:37:59 AM4/18/16
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Jonathan Harris <jnhso...@gmail.com> wrote:
fixed price for the programming and delivery of the app.

Fixed price for software development in this day and age??

So, the poor contractor has to predict the future as well when he writes up his quote.
• client changing their mind on particular features?
• ​integration bugs?
• last minute changes?

Jerrold Poh

Apr 18, 2016, 9:00:42 PM4/18/16
to Australian Cocoaheads, Sadat....@gmail.com
I think fixed price is the way to go if you're at that point, as it allows you to charge based on value, not how quickly you work.  i.e. if you're a good dev you don't want to be penalised for working quicker than a junior dev.

In saying that if you're still green and haven't got many projects under your belt, I'd recommend starting with hourly - to get an idea on how long things take to build and what to expect from clients during the project.

Thanks
Jerrold

--
@jklp

Jasper Blues

Apr 18, 2016, 9:33:54 PM4/18/16
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com, Sadat....@gmail.com
Hi Folks,

I think fixed price is the way to go if you're at that point, as it allows you to charge based on value, not how quickly you work.  i.e. if you're a good dev you don't want to be penalised for working quicker than a junior dev.

Agree, however it is also worth noting that a good developer will be able to identify and advise on non-functional requirements that a junior will overlook. Things like performance, security, usability. They’ll also understand the risks of fixed-price development, and quote a fee that accommodates these, rather than start after unwittingly shooting themselves, and therefore ultimately their client, in the foot.

We advertise the ability to start on a consultation basis, prepare a detailed specification and then quote on that. However we advise our clients that the best value is to use our Agile model. With this approach we deliver software according to current priorities, daily, on a time&materials basis. Our clients our able to book a subsequent sprint after accepting the current sprint. Very low overheads here.

Something that we find interesting is that while we’re open to a consultation and quote engagement model, all of our clients to date have chosen our Agile approach. For the kinds of projects that we do, it is the best approach.

Jasper Blues
Skype: jasperblues