CocoaHeads Philippines

Jasper Blues

Jan 15, 2013, 9:25:59 PM1/15/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Friends!

I normally post to the Australian CocoaHeads user group, however, since the Philippines is now my home, I'm interested in getting more involved here. What do you think about a CocoaHeads, Philippines - with regular meet-ups and presentations?

The only issue that I can see is that is that Manila is a big city, so it might be hard to find a meeting place that suits everyone. On top of that, I know you're all working hard, and it can be difficult to find the time to attend. What do you think? What about Cebu meetups?

To tell you about myself, I've been working as a software developer for 15 years, most recently with mobile and tablet computing, but before that with Java. . . I contributed code to the Spring Framework, and worked with SpringSource for a while, before they got bought by VmWare. And I've been living in Manila since 2009. A couple of my open-source projects are here: https://github.com/jasperblues

Look forward to hearing back.

Thanks,

Jasper Blues
Landline: +63.2.826.2489
Skype: jasperblues
LinkedIn Twitter

Marconi Moreto

Jan 16, 2013, 1:07:22 AM1/16/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jasper,

Sounds like a great idea, I would very much like to attend something like this. Maybe not to present initially though, I'm mainly a Python developer but I've been learning objc lately and to have this kind of support around would really help beginners like me a lot.

I'm in Cebu but but Manila would be fine although I won't be able to attend there as much as I would like to.
--
~Marconi

Jasper Blues

Jan 16, 2013, 8:41:33 PM1/16/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marconi,

Thanks for your message. . . So far I don't think there's been enough interest that we should go ahead, just yet. I think there's a lot of Pinoys doing iOS and OSX work, just that being busy makes having a meet up hard. Maybe down the track . .  . .

Regarding Python - nice choice in language. And it should be fairly easy to cross into Obj-C from there. (They're both somewhat dynamic OO languages). .  do you do Freelance work? One of my clients in Australia is in need of a Python dev for ongoing work. . . I'll email some more about it off the main thread.

Kind Regards,

Jasper Blues
Landline: +63.2.826.2489
Skype: jasperblues
LinkedIn Twitter

Robert Steve Paolo Dejesica

Jan 16, 2013, 9:46:50 PM1/16/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jasper,

Good to know that one of the Cocoa gurus already here.

My main language is PHP.  I did several backend and API projects for mobile and tablet.

Cheers!
--
Regards,
Bob

Rupert de Guzman

Jan 16, 2013, 11:01:20 PM1/16/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

+1 for cocoaheads-manila/ph regular meetups! If you guys decide to have a cocoaheads meetup in Manila sometime in March-April, then I might drop by for a chat/beer... I am currently in AU now but I do visit my folks in MNL every year...

Some info regarding myself.. I love mobile + travel + maps so I cofounded and developed MyTravelPhilippines. My day job now is mostly ruby, GIS/web mapping and a bit of objc...

Cheers,
Rupert

Marconi Moreto

Jan 16, 2013, 11:48:22 PM1/16/13
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Jasper Blues <jasper....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Marconi,

Thanks for your message. . . So far I don't think there's been enough interest that we should go ahead, just yet. I think there's a lot of Pinoys doing iOS and OSX work, just that being busy makes having a meet up hard. Maybe down the track . .  . .

Regarding Python - nice choice in language. And it should be fairly easy to cross into Obj-C from there. (They're both somewhat dynamic OO languages). .  do you do Freelance work? One of my clients in Australia is in need of a Python dev for ongoing work. . . I'll email some more about it off the main thread.

Yes I do, feel free to shoot me an email.

Cheers!

Kind Regards,

Jasper Blues
Landline: +63.2.826.2489
Skype: jasperblues
LinkedIn Twitter

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Jasper Blues <jasper....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

filjedi

Jan 21, 2013, 3:58:26 AM1/21/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jasper,

Welcome to the group & to the Philippines (somewhat belated, of course)!

As you may have noticed, we're not a formally-organized bunch, so we don't really meet regularly. Hopefully though, your presence here will help change things :)

In the meantime, here are a couple of other iOS devs who are fairly active on Twitter:
By the way, I'm Ramon (@filjedi). I've been studying iOS development since 2008, released my first app in 2009. I head Numlock Solutions.

See you around!

Jasper Blues

Jan 23, 2013, 8:34:20 PM1/23/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

I think it would be good to meet together on a regular basis - if we can help each other to become better developers by sharing ideas and experience we'll all benefit. Sometimes, when working with overseas customers people suggest that they consider working with Filipino companies when the main driver is price, but not necessarily quality. . . From what I've seen, that is simply not true at all! There is some amazing work being done here! One thing I have seen in other countries, though, is an active community. . . When people see active thriving discussions and constant pushing towards improvement, it gives them the confidence to invest on high-stakes projects.

I'm especially interested in looking at ways we can use project management and engineering practices to help us work more efficiently. Lean and Agile philosophies.

Maybe it would also be a good idea to get folks from Cebu and other parts of the country involved? Call the group CocoaHeads Philippines vs CocoaHeads Manila?

If you like I can start asking around regarding a venue. . . what do you think?

Jasper Blues
Landline: +63.2.826.2489
Skype: jasperblues
LinkedIn Twitter

Radamanthus Batnag

Jan 24, 2013, 1:16:21 AM1/24/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Judging from the number of the replies to this thread, it looks like we have enough interested folks for a meetup.

And, my definition of a meetup is two or more geeks in a coffeeshop learning from each other. So, from my definition, we definitely have enough to start a meetup.

I agree that moving around Metro Manila is expensive time-wise. I will also surmise that most of us are working near or around either Makati or Ortigas. So we can do what we do in the local Ruby community: alternate between Ortigas and Makati. The Makati-hosted meetups are usually attended by those based around Makati, plus some of the more interested people from Ortigas; likewise the Ortigas meetups are usually attended by those around Ortigas plus some folks from Makati.

For Makati meetups, I can talk to SMART, Globe or Microsoft. All three of them are eager to host dev community meetups.
For Ortigas, maybe we can talk to http://ihub.izonetech-ph.com? I also know the folks at http://www.gobeyondstudios.com and they're eager to host meetups.

Just a quick survey: where are most of you folks based?
I'm based in BGC (The Fort).

Cheers,
rad

ruben d canlas jr

Jan 24, 2013, 1:23:47 AM1/24/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Well argued. Game!

RUBEN CANLAS JR.
IT and Management Advisor
MSc. Information Technology, MBA
Certified Scrum Master
http://SiliconCarne.me
“Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.” -- Pablo Picasso

Jasper Blues

Jan 24, 2013, 1:55:58 AM1/24/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
I usually work from Paranaque, but very happy to come to Makati or Ortigas where most of us are.

Would be great if one of those places want to provide a venue. . My preference is SMART or Globe, not that I have anything against Microsoft (lots of friends there) but it is a CocoaHeads group ;)

Jasper Blues
Landline: +63.2.826.2489
Skype: jasperblues
LinkedIn Twitter

Radamanthus Batnag

Feb 3, 2013, 7:20:01 PM2/3/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

I reached out to SMART last week and they're welcome to host us at their Valero office in Makati.

I'm thinking let's do the meetup on the last week of February (Feb. 28?). Then the next one when Rupert is here in Mar-April.

What do you think? Everyone ok with Feb. 28?

Cheers,
rad

Nestor G. Pestelos, Jr.

Feb 4, 2013, 7:01:43 AM2/4/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
I'm good.

Nestor

Jasper Blues

Feb 4, 2013, 7:03:25 AM2/4/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
I can come.

Jasper Blues
Landline: +63.2.826.2489
Skype: jasperblues
LinkedIn Twitter

filjedi

Feb 4, 2013, 10:38:54 PM2/4/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
I'm available as well. What time?

Jon Limjap

Feb 4, 2013, 10:43:50 PM2/4/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Just say when and where, I'll be there :)

-Jon

Radamanthus Batnag

Feb 6, 2013, 5:12:28 AM2/6/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Great!

Here's our venue and schedule:
Rizal Room, 33rd floor, Tower 2, Smart Communications
February 28, 2013
6:00pm to 8:00pm

so we'll know how many people are coming.

Feel free to invite others. Also - is it ok if I invite folks from he local Corona users' group? They don't exactly dabble with Cocoa, but they also use Xcode :)

PS. Like you, I also don't know where exactly is "Tower 2". I asked our friend from Smart; I'll post it here as soon as I get more details.

Jon Limjap

Feb 7, 2013, 5:18:12 AM2/7/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
It looks like Rizal Room, 33rd Floor is at the Smart Tower (6799 Ayala Ave cor VA Rufino).

-Jon

Radamanthus Batnag

Feb 25, 2013, 7:45:18 PM2/25/13
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com