Mechanics

1 view

Radamanthus Batnag

Jan 16, 2010, 10:39:55 AM1/16/10
to cocoaheads-manila
These are all just strong suggestions. If you have ideas on how we can
do this better, feel free to chime in.

---

The study group will move at the same pace as the CS193P class. This
means two one-hour lectures a week, and one assignment a week.

Each participant will view the lecture videos on her own

Each participant will work on the assignments on her own

There will be an optional once-a-week meet-up to work on assignments
together. Everyone still work on the assignment solution individually
– the assignments have been designed that way – but the meet-up is an
opportunity to have a high-bandwidth discussion on difficult concepts.

There will be once-a-week meet-ups to “submit” assignments and discuss
solutions.

The meet-ups will from 8pm to 9pm and will be held in the Ortigas
office of Sagada Solutions.

---

If you're just starting out with Xcode and Objective-C, plan to spend
5-10 hours a week on this. Two hours for the lectures, one hour for
the meetup, and at least two hours for the assignments. On my own, I
tried following the 2009 CS193P class. I made it up to the 6th lecture
before I got lazy. On average, I spent 4 hours on the weekly
assignments.

Best regards,
rad
http://rad.batnag.org

paul_sns

Jan 16, 2010, 8:06:58 PM1/16/10
to cocoaheads-manila
Do we really need to follow the same schedule/pace as the class? If
so, can we have a virtual review session of the assignments for those
who do not have the luxury of attending the meetups weekly? Or maybe
we can schedule the meetups to be every other week instead to give us
more time to download/watch the videos and work on the assignments.

These are just open suggestions of course. :)

Thanks,
Paul

Radamanthus Batnag

Jan 16, 2010, 11:29:05 PM1/16/10
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

Good point.

When I tried the 2009 class last year, I tried to follow the class
schedule. I did this partly because I wanted to know if I can juggle
my day job, my family, and graduate school. As I've mentioned
previously, I "dropped out" after the 6th lecture. So a more relaxed
schedule might make sense.

What do the others think?

rad

Christopher Rigor

Jan 17, 2010, 7:39:47 PM1/17/10
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
One meetup every two weeks might be better, which means the 2 lectures
plus assignments need to be done in 2 weeks. You can always read ahead
if you want to. When do we start?

Radamanthus Batnag

Jan 18, 2010, 10:36:56 AM1/18/10
to cocoaheads-manila
I'm ready when you guys are.
How about this week?

On Jan 18, 8:39 am, Christopher Rigor <cri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One meetup every two weeks might be better, which means the 2 lectures
> plus assignments need to be done in 2 weeks. You can always read ahead
> if you want to. When do we start?
>
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Radamanthus Batnag
>

> <radamant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Paul,
>
> > Good point.
>
> > When I tried the 2009 class last year, I tried to follow the class
> > schedule. I did this partly because I wanted to know if I can juggle
> > my day job, my family, and graduate school. As I've mentioned
> > previously, I "dropped out" after the 6th lecture. So a more relaxed
> > schedule might make sense.
>
> > What do the others think?
>
> > rad

paul_sns

Jan 20, 2010, 1:41:54 AM1/20/10
to cocoaheads-manila
So when's the first meeting and who will be attending? Are we all on
Facebook? Will it be easier to manage a group there than here in
Google groups?

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to start this week. It probably
depends on what the deliverables are for the first meeting. Are we
expected to complete assignments 1a/1b and 2a/2b on our own and bring
them to our session for grading?

Thanks,
Paul

Radamanthus Batnag

Jan 20, 2010, 5:28:39 PM1/20/10
to cocoaheads-manila
I have two problems with using Facebook instead of a mailing list.

1. I can't use my mail client to reply. I can setup my account to get
email notifications, but I still have to login to Facebook to reply.
Also, facebook.com is blocked in my office, mail.google.com isn't.

2. It's a walled garden, inaccessible to search engines and non-
Facebook users. Our discussions won't contribute to the knowledge base
on the interwebz. You can be the most helpful, most prolific
contributor in the group, but recruiters checking out your web profile
won't see it if the discussion is on Facebook.

Radamanthus Batnag

Jan 20, 2010, 5:48:04 PM1/20/10
to cocoaheads-manila
OK. Here's my suggestion:

Start Monday next week, January 25.
Work at half the pace of the actual class.

Week 1 of CS193P is this (see Handout-01_0):
Lecture 1
Lecture 2
Assignment 1A and 1B

We're working at half-pace so we give ourselves two weeks, Jan.25 to
Feb.5, to work on the Week 1 materials. Conduct discussions through
the list, then have a meetup on Feb.4 to discuss assignment solutions.

For those who can, please start working on 1A ASAP. 1A is a "Hello
World" exercise. If you can finish it, it means you already have all
the tools needed to participate in the class. If you have tool
problems (i.e. you're working on a PowerPC Mac, you're working on an
older XCode version, etc.) it will surface once you try working on 1A.
The earlier we detect toolkit problems, the better.

Christopher Rigor

Jan 22, 2010, 7:00:38 AM1/22/10
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
I'm fine with this schedule.

Buddy

Jan 22, 2010, 7:02:06 AM1/22/10
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
+1
looking forward to this :)
dont judge a game by it's screenshot -keikun17

paul_sns

Jan 24, 2010, 9:39:06 PM1/24/10
to cocoaheads-manila
See you guys tonight! Rad, I sent you a PM at philmug. :)

Christopher Rigor

Jan 24, 2010, 9:48:14 PM1/24/10
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Tonight? Isn't the meetup scheduled on Feb 4?

Radamanthus Batnag

Jan 24, 2010, 10:50:52 PM1/24/10
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Same here. I thought we start on Jan.25, and the meetup is on Feb 4.

Paul, I can't access PhilMuG from work. I'll check your pm later.

paul_sns

Jan 24, 2010, 11:17:16 PM1/24/10
to cocoaheads-manila
Oh, alright, sorry for the confusion, I thought we will start meeting
Jan 25. But it turns out self-study/work on assignments are the tasks
that we need to start today.

I'll see you guys next week then! :)

On Jan 25, 11:50 am, Radamanthus Batnag <radamant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same here. I thought we start on Jan.25, and the meetup is on Feb 4.
>
> Paul, I can't access PhilMuG from work. I'll check your pm later.
>
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Christopher Rigor <cri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Tonight? Isn't the meetup scheduled on Feb 4?

Radamanthus Batnag

Jan 26, 2010, 10:48:24 PM1/26/10
to cocoaheads-manila
How is everyone going? You all got the SDK installed?
Anyone having problems with assignment 1B?

paul_sns

Feb 1, 2010, 5:16:37 AM2/1/10
to cocoaheads-manila
Hope all is well! First meetup will be on Thursday right? Rad, any
updates on the map to Sagada Solutions you mentioned last time?

I'm also thinking that maybe you can give us a walk-through of your
assignment solution for 1A and 1B and then other attendees can just
throw-in their questions and give feedback. For the succeeding
sessions, we can rotate that responsibility to all the other members
of the study group. What do you guys think? As they say, the best way
to learn is to teach! :)

Cheers,
Paul

Radamanthus Batnag

Feb 1, 2010, 9:42:32 AM2/1/10
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com
Paul, everyone,

The Sagada office is at:
Unit 2508 Medical Plaza Ortigas
San Miguel Ave. Ortigas Center

How to get there:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=ortigas%2Bpasig&hl=en&ie=UTF8&view=map&cid=16744776974939086500&iwloc=A&ved=0CBQQpQY&sa=X&ei=KeZmS9muHIawsQP5nt2WDA
This is a map to Unit 2509, the unit beside Unit 2508 :)

As for the solutions:

1A is really just an exercise of the toolkit, to get your feet wet on XCode and Interface Builder.

For 1B, I think the second lecture and the handout is enough to point you in the right direction. The handout gives just the right amount of hints to get you to explore the SDK documentation and solve the assignment on your own.
It's healthy if you try to solve it using just what's provided on the handout.

If you really want some hints, read on.

1. To print your output, use NSLog. Don't use printf.
2. Use the strintXXX methods. Don't bother yet with [[NSString alloc] init]. That will be tackled in lecture 3 and assignment 2A.
3. To go to the NSString class reference, in XCode, highlight NSString, right-click then select Find Text in Documentation.

If you're stuck somewhere and have specific questions, feel free to ask.

rad

Eumir Gaspar

Feb 1, 2010, 4:38:59 PM2/1/10
to cocoahea...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Radamanthus Batnag <r...@batnag.org> wrote:
1. To print your output, use NSLog. Don't use printf. <-- hehehe my mistake :P i thought NSLog was for the other parts of the assignment :P

--
Eumir Gaspar
Web Developer