CocoaHeads - 9 September 2010

nduplessis

Aug 23, 2010, 5:38:13 AM8/23/10
to CocoaHeads Johannesburg
Hi guys

Is there anyone that would like to present on the next meeting?

Craig Nicholson

Sep 8, 2010, 12:42:41 PM9/8/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
On 23 August 2010 11:38, nduplessis <dupless...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there anyone that would like to present on the next meeting?

Anything happening tomorrow? I'd have offered to talk, but I'm currently swamped with iOS development deadlines.

Nico du Plessis

Sep 8, 2010, 12:49:09 PM9/8/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
There hasn't been any interest shown so far and I've been a tad busy to drive it.
Would anyone be interested in meeting next Thursday, 16 Sep?

Matt Benic

Sep 9, 2010, 1:09:29 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to attend, if there's anyone presenting, I would like to have a chat and see what projects everyone's on :)

Craig I had no idea you'd strayed from the MS camp to work on iOS stuff!

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 6:38:01 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Id attend, any topical ideas? it might bring about inspiration of sorts.

Matt Benic

Sep 9, 2010, 6:40:58 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Well if anyone's done any social media integration (directly, as opposed to OpenFeint) on iOS and wants to present on that I'd certainly appreciate it. I've got a project I'm hoping to do in a month or so and that would help me a ton ;)

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:38 PM, fuzzy spoon <fuzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Id attend, any topical ideas? it might bring about inspiration of sorts.

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 6:42:49 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Maybe just need some details on what aspects of integration you mean,
Facebook and twitter messaging from inside your own app?
Or more like game center-ey things.

Nico du Plessis

Sep 9, 2010, 6:43:14 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
It would be great if anyone is willing to talk about any projects they're running?
Alternatively I'll be happy to talk about Push Notifications

On 09 Sep 2010, at 12:38 PM, fuzzy spoon wrote:

> Id attend, any topical ideas? it might bring about inspiration of sorts.

Matt Benic

Sep 9, 2010, 6:43:44 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
The basics really, FB and twitter authentication, and pulling data from those services.

Craig Nicholson

Sep 9, 2010, 9:27:22 AM9/9/10
On 9 September 2010 07:09, Matt Benic <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Craig I had no idea you'd strayed from the MS camp to work on iOS stuff!

Stray? LOL. Well I've always believed in using the right tool for the right job. iOS is a great OS for mobile devices and I'm leveraging that.

As for MS camp, my back-end still remains .NET. :)

Craig Nicholson

Sep 9, 2010, 9:29:24 AM9/9/10
On 9 September 2010 12:40, Matt Benic <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well if anyone's done any social media integration (directly, as opposed to OpenFeint) on iOS and wants to present on that I'd certainly appreciate it. I've got a project I'm hoping to do in a month or so and that would help me a ton ;)

I'm doing some social media in my business application development currently. So far Foursqure and Facebook but more coming soon. :)

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 9:30:18 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
yea but its .NET. EWWWW. :p

Craig Nicholson

Sep 9, 2010, 9:31:24 AM9/9/10
On 9 September 2010 12:43, Matt Benic <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
The basics really, FB and twitter authentication, and pulling data from those services.

Checkout the official Facebook iOS SDK http://github.com/facebook/facebook-ios-sdk/. Its easy to integrate and use.

Twitter you just need to implement or roll your own OAuth library seeing as Twitter is phasing out their old authentication schemes.

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 9:32:37 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Has phased out* < Twitter is also just normal OAuth, which requires
using a webview to get the little magic code twitter gives an app,
storing that for your app, and thats about it. Its much nicer i rate

Nico du Plessis

Sep 9, 2010, 9:32:33 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Also, when doing OAuth, have a look at Aral Balkan's xAuth lib

Craig Nicholson

Sep 9, 2010, 9:32:55 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
On 9 September 2010 15:30, fuzzy spoon <fuzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
yea but its .NET. EWWWW. :p

Not under .NET... the back-end is .NET but the integration is occurring on the mobile iOS device.

And there is NOTHING wrong with .NET... it rocks!

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 9:33:29 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Just being provocative :) dont mind me

Nico du Plessis

Sep 9, 2010, 9:35:45 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Here's something I remember reading about a while ago. Haven't used it myself but it looks useful:

http://www.getsharekit.com/

Craig Nicholson

Sep 9, 2010, 9:36:23 AM9/9/10
On 9 September 2010 15:33, fuzzy spoon <fuzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just being provocative :) dont mind me

LOL... or is it just being a typical fanboi? :p

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 9:37:01 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
says the one using .NET on iOS :p

Matt Benic

Sep 9, 2010, 9:37:30 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
I know I can find the resources online darn it, I was just trying to help out with a presentation topic suggestion :p

Oh and I'm with Craig on this, .Net FTW ;)

Matt Benic

Sep 9, 2010, 9:38:32 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Don;t mind him, he's so doggedly anti anything remotely related to .Net he won't even give Unity 3D a chance ;)

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 9:39:29 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
BTW, did everyone see the new TOS / EULA for developers?
They removed all the squeeling about third party libraries entirely,
leaving only the rule about downloading new executable scripts.

So, flash and such are apparently fair game now, again.

Craig Nicholson

Sep 9, 2010, 9:43:44 AM9/9/10
On 9 September 2010 15:39, fuzzy spoon <fuzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
BTW, did everyone see the new TOS / EULA for developers?
They removed all the squeeling about third party libraries entirely,
leaving only the rule about downloading new executable scripts.

So, flash and such are apparently fair game now, again.

You actually READ IT? My word... thats just sad.. :P

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 9:44:21 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com

Matt Benic

Sep 9, 2010, 9:45:40 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Hey for us game devs the whole 'no third party code' thing is a really big deal.. :p

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 9:48:12 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Yea, it excluded .NET! The horrors :D

Anyway, its a big deal for sure. Not just for games, apps that use
flash, air, and other cool platforms can live in peace there as well
now.

Craig Nicholson

Sep 9, 2010, 9:48:50 AM9/9/10
On 9 September 2010 15:45, Matt Benic <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey for us game devs the whole 'no third party code' thing is a really big deal.. :p

I thought you were developing real games for real consoles... oh and that thing commonly known as a George Foreman grill. :p

Have you seen the work Epic has been doing with the Unreal Engine on iOS?

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 9:51:10 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Yea, talented artists they have indeed.
I downloaded it as soon as i saw the keynote, its awesome.

Matt Benic

Sep 9, 2010, 9:52:34 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Hey I've always been big on mobile game dev, been doing J2ME dev for 6-7 years ;)

The UE demo is pretty impressive, but just keep in mind all they're doing is loading and rendering a world, not a single animated entity or anything in there. Still, cool that the Unreal Engine has another platform to target.

Peter Pistorius

Sep 9, 2010, 10:39:27 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
I saw some falling leaves and water in that UE demo; wouldn't those be animated?

--
Kind regards,
Peter Pistorius

Peter Pistorius

Sep 9, 2010, 10:40:41 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Also saw some trees waving in the wind and birds flying about.

--
Kind regards,
Peter Pistorius

Matt Benic

Sep 9, 2010, 10:44:23 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
True, there were definitely some environmental effects, I'm referring more to animated entities you'd be interacting with in a game. These are very often much higher in detail and complexity than the world around them (multiple jointed parts, animation data, possibly higher detail textures, etc), so showing a tech demo that only includes a static world is pretty much only half the story :)

Peter Pistorius

Sep 9, 2010, 10:55:05 AM9/9/10
to cocoahe...@googlegroups.com
Aaah, makes sense. If you're going to be showing you... you might as
well show the full story.