Window shadow disappearing - need some clues for debugging

Stefan Arentz

Sep 19, 2012, 12:19:29 PM9/19/12
to cocoa-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Firefox for OS X has an interesting bug on Mountain Lion. Sometimes the window shadow disappears. You can see it in this screenshot:

https://bug775122.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=643394

(Safari on the left, Firefox on the right)

To reproduce this fairly consistently: open a Firefox window, toggle maximized and then back, switch to a app in full screen mode and then switch back to Firefox.

Not sure if this is an OS bug or a Firefox bug. Firefox is a weird OS X app. There is a lot of Cocoa in it but also a lot of non standard crazy code.

But in any case, I am looking for hints and tips on how to actually debug this.

Are there tools that can be used? Are there specific places where I should look? Is there maybe special window manager logging that I can enable?

I'm not sure where to start.

 S.