Beta release 2016-05-05

jessica

May 5, 2016, 4:10:06 PM5/5/16
to CockroachDB user group
CL_Logo_Stacked.png

What's new in CockroachDB beta-20160505

May 5, 2016

Welcome to our inaugural Beta Release Note emails. In case you miss a release, we archive all our notes here on our docs site.

A new beta release of CockroachDB is now available: beta-20160505. The download links on the installation instructions have been updated to point to the new release.

New Features

  • New SQL command UPSERT is available. This is syntactically similar to INSERT but will update the row with the supplied columns if there is a conflicting row for the primary key. #6456
  • The SQL type system has been overhauled, reducing the number of explicit casts required. RFC
  • Tuples are now considered for index selection, so SELECT * FROM t WHERE (a, b) > ($1, $2) can use an index defined on (a, b)#6332

Performance improvements

  • Bulk inserts to previously-empty table spans are now faster. #6375#6414
  • Ranges that have grown above the target size are now split before being rebalanced, reducing memory usage. #6447
  • Reduced rapid memory growth during partitions. #6448
  • ALTER TABLE now performs backfill operations in chunks. #6056
  • DROP TABLE now uses the schema change mechanism instead of synchronously deleting all data. #6336
  • Scanning over records that have only one MVCC version is faster. #6351
  • The command queue now uses coarse-grained spans until a conflict has occurred.#6412
  • When a replica is rebalanced from one node to another, the old node no longer triggers unnecessary Raft elections. #6423

Production

  • Servers now attempt to drain more gracefully when restarted. #6313
  • Metrics on lease requests are now available internally. #5596
  • The RocksDB cache will no longer use all available memory if cgroups reports a limit higher than physical memory. #6379

Bug Fixes

  • The range descriptor cache is now invalidated correctly, fixing a bug in which requests could be retried repeatedly on the wrong node. #6425
  • Fixed a bug with some queries using aggregate functions like MIN() and MAX().#6380
  • Tuple comparisons now work correctly when one tuple contains NULL#6370

Doc Updates

Contributors

This release includes 66 merged PRs by 18 authors. We would like to thank the following contributors from the CockroachDB community, especially first-time contributor Paul Steffensen.

  • Bogdan Batog
  • il9ue
  • Kenji Kaneda
  • Paul Steffensen

Install New Release

Thanks,
The Cockroach Labs Team

crawling-bug-transparent-background-flipped-500px-edge.png

Dorian Hoxha

May 6, 2016, 7:52:52 AM5/6/16
to CockroachDB user group
Is anyone using it in production ?

Meaning, stable, transactions, upgradable (compared to those recreate-table decimal issues earlier)

Radu Berinde

May 6, 2016, 2:39:37 PM5/6/16
to Dorian Hoxha, CockroachDB user group
Dorian,

Not yet - CockroachDB is in beta stage at this time.

-Radu

Ben Darnell

May 10, 2016, 2:39:24 PM5/10/16
to Dorian Hoxha, CockroachDB user group
I'd be surprised if anyone is using CockroachDB in production yet; we wouldn't recommend doing so at this time. Transactions are there, but stability and performance are not where we'd like them to be. We intend to provide an upgrade path for all future data changes so you won't have to start over from scratch.