gofmt libraries updated to go1.11

Radu Berinde

Jan 17, 2019, 9:32:44 AM1/17/19
to CockroachDB
Hi folks,

Cockroach vendors the go libraries used by gofmt, along with the gofmt, goimports, and crlfmt binaries (which can be found in cockroach/bin). The code in the repo conforms to the format imposed by the vendored version.

I have merged #34076 which switches these libraries to the go1.11 version. There are some gofmt changes, mostly around aligning fields and comments.

What does this mean for me?

I'm glad you asked. You should rebase your work-in-progress branches and make sure that your editor is configured to use the gofmt/goimport/crlfmt binaries in cockroach/bin (perhaps indirectly by putting cockroach/bin early in your PATH). Note that crlfmt can do everything else that gofmt/goimports does so you should really only need to run that one.

If you are seeing unexpected diffs, you can try `rm bin/.bootstrap; make build` to force a rebuild of the binaries.

-Radu