Syncing Sage kernels in CoCalc, Docker-CoCalc and SageCell

Ingo Dahn

Apr 26, 2022, 6:29:10 PM4/26/22
to CoCalc
I am frequently switching between these systems and it happens unfortunately that a cell working in one system throws a warning or even error in another which requires adaptations and increases the effort to keep notebooks in sync.
Would it be possible to have at each time a sage kernel version that is guaranteed to be available in all the actual system versions?

Harald Schilly

Apr 27, 2022, 4:18:47 AM4/27/22
to Ingo Dahn, CoCalc
Hello,

Those three options are independent of each other, with little to no coordination. Hence it is impossible to ensure synchronicity at all times.

We can only check up on specific errors and see if there is a certain pattern. E.g. there is maybe room to code those notebooks defensively in a way to avoid such problems. But for that, we have to know the types of problems you see.

-- Harald

--
CoCalc: Collaborative Calculation in the Cloud -- https://cocalc.com
---

Ingo Dahn

Apr 27, 2022, 5:08:46 AM4/27/22
to Harald Schilly, CoCalc
I see. Usually, these problems are small and there are simple workarounds and changing the kernel code seems to be an overkill. The problem is rather that notebooks that used to work might show surprising errors when the standard kernel changes.
For example I made up a notebook half a year ago in CoCalc with a specific kernel and until today it is working fine.
I converted it with nbplayer to an interactive webpage andt checked that it worked fine. But for that SageCell version I now get reports from users about disturbing messages that the basic statistics mean function is deprecated.
If I cannot use the same kernel on all systems, such problems are of course inevitable.
However their effect could be also reduced, if for SageCell and for Docker-CoCalc previous versions of kernels would remain available as it is in cocalc.com. Then I would have to make the specific adaptations only once when exchanging notebooks.
A synoptic table telling which kernel version is made available for which system with links to the changelogs would be helpful for selecting the most appropriate kernel for each system..
And, if I may ask for a favour for syncing SageCell with nbplayer, it would be great if a small javascript file could be maintained, that delivers the list of all kernels actually available in SageCell, together with the identifiers to be used for calling them.