COBRA Rugby Updates (25.6.2024)

1 view

Ray

Jun 25, 2024, 2:04:00 AM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to cobrarugby, Darryll Sinnappa
Dear COBRAs

What a weekend of rugby; we had the SuperRugby Pacific final and the Summer Internationals. But of course, the focus is on the KRS League.

Blacks 27 - 26 RSC Dogs
We chose to kick, and the fumble by the RSC winger meant a 1st clear attacking opportunity. Our scrum gave the platform to attack RSC's redzone and in the 5th minute, COBRA was up 3 - 0, courtesy of the RSC backline being offside. Can see that score was a motivation and for the next 10 minutes, we practically camped in their half. The inevitable try came at the far left. Unconverted, and COBRA led 8-0.

We could have had 2 more scores; one was held up at the try line and another, breaking a tackle at the halfway line, and with a clear 2 on 1, the final pass by Bard to the wing was dropped. A decade ago, this would have been easy KC material. But now, all that is associated with post-match rituals has disappeared. Times have changed.

COBRA caught a few breaks despite the defense being guilty of not tackling and we managed to score 2 more tries at the same far left corner. Handsome lead of 20 – 0. Or so we thought.

At the 35th minute, on the rare occasion that RSC ventured into our half and they put in a grubber, instead of taking 3 steps for the line-out, our winger tried to goose-step out of the chasers hands, got harassed, and sent an awful kick back in-field.  Unfortunately, our cover defense was slow to retreat and RSC ‘merah-ed’ to our 5 metre and then scored a converted try. Score: 20-7. The RSC Dogs had a sniff and we let them in again via another ‘merah’ move. Unconverted and our lead now cut down to 20-12.

Thankfully, halftime came and some strong words by Coach Wan Jigon and Captain Bard seemingly pumped the team up. Sad to note that we didn't switch on and within 10 minutes of the restart, RSC ‘merah-ed’ again to another converted try. We lead 20-19.

For most of the 2nd half, play was see-sawing between 22 to 22. We lost 1 back (high tackle but with mitigation) and 1 loosie to the bin in the last 10 minutes. During this time, we had a chance to score from our own ‘merah’ move and caught the RSC Dogs offside. A quick tap by Dorres sees COBRA stretch out the lead to 27-19. As a consequence of the 2 players in the bin, the defensive line was stretched and RSC had a final attack, and you guessed it, another 'merah' under the sticks. Thankfully, after the restart, time was up and this was the final score of 27-26.

Have to give a special mention to Ayung who took it upon himself to assist the team. Also to the handful of COBRAs who have been diligently giving their time to be at the UPNM Padang to assist/give support to the team.

Blacks next game: Cup Semifinal on 30.6.2024 at 4.30pm, Blacks vs Blackhawk

Stingers 12 vs 24 Arc Knight

We lost to the Division 2 Champions. A good run for the  Selangor Rugby Academy boys.

As this game was on Saturday, we celebrated Coach Felix's youngest son Gavin's birthday along with the Auckland Blues' win in the SuperRugby Pacific Finals. Thanks for the cheesecake Felix and Lydia.

Stingers next game: Bowl Semifinal on 29.6.2024 at 2.30pm, Stingers vs Supark Grizzly

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's it. Will catch you again at the next one.

Cheers

Ray

Ray

Jul 2, 2024, 4:52:04 AM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to cobrarugby, Darryll Sinnappa
Dear COBRAs

If you have seen our official Whatsapp/Instagram/Facebook pages, you would have noticed that over the weekend, both of our teams won their respective semifinal matches in the KRS League.

With this, COBRA are on to 2 finals this week. Its been some time to hear such news.

Back then, the Super League (the successor to the NICC) where the Blacks did battle against top teams the likes of NS Wanderers, ASAS, Keris Conlay, Sandakan Rugby Club, etc. At the same time, the Stingers were dominant in the Division 1 of the KRS League. We used to come back to the club to enjoy the obligatory towers courtesy of Carlsberg. Win or lose, we came back together as one.

Thank you to President Darryll and some of his EXCO members that came down to support the team. Wish to see more COBRAs this weekend and be mindful of the match venues please.

Blacks 39 vs 20 RMAF Blackhawks
This is somewhat a 'revenge' match as in the group phase, we lost to them, 3 tries to 2.

It was a tied game at halftime, Blacks 08 - 08 Blackhawks. But we managed to pull away finally.

Try scorers : Dorres, Pedot, Didi (x2), Joe, Bambil-Syabil
Penalty & Conversions : Isyraf

Stingers 52 vs 14 Supark Grizzly
We drew 25-all in the group phase. Not so much a revenge but more of a redemption match against the Grizzly.

The Selangor Rugby Academy boys proved that they can actually play some rugby. Would have been something if they had played that game against Merthyr RFC touring boys instead.

The score was Stingers 29 vs 14 Supark Grizzly at half-time. As you can see, we held the opponent scoreless in the 2nd half through good defence as well as the motivation of COBRA supporters at the touchline.

Try scorers : Airill, Yaw, Ian, Wan (x2), Gavin, Nabiel
Conversions : Yaw, Syazwi (x3), Wan (x3)

Finals Match Schedule

Cup Final
Blacks vs KL Tigers. Sunday July 7th 2024 @ 4.30pm. Venue : TUDM Subang

Bowl Final
Stingers vs UPNM Smookies, Saturday July 6th 2024 @2.30pm. Venue : UPNM, Sg Besi

Other Rugby Matches on the TV
Some big games this weekend. See you at the COBRA Club Bar aka Sideline for the NZ vs ENG game.

image.png
(A list of the games this weekend. Those are not Malaysian times, that much I know. Please Safari it.)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's it. Catch you all at the next one.

Regards
Ray

Ray

Jul 2, 2024, 5:39:47 AM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to cobrarugby, Darryll Sinnappa
So a correction is in order to the composition of the Stingers.

It seems that I have my facts wrong and that the Stingers is actually a team built by COBRATs over the last 12 years. Hence, they are our COBRATs U-18s and not the Selangor Rugby Academy boys like what was mentioned several times previously.

Anyway, this gem of a fact is to set the record straight.

Regards
Ray

Norman Dutton

Jul 2, 2024, 6:22:44 AM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, Darryll Sinnappa
Awesomeness

Sent from my iPhone

--
COBRA RUGBY - Passion For Rugby
---

Andrew Bryan Perera

Jul 2, 2024, 8:17:36 AM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, Darryll Sinnappa
So gratifying to note that COBRA has returned to winning ways.
Huge Congratulations to all at COBRA. Its no easy task but it was achieved.
Cheers

Bryan Perera