GONG XI FA CAI - COBRA and January highlight !

darryll....@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2022, 9:34:11 PM1/31/22
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, cobra...@googlegroups.com

Dear members and friends,

GONG XI FA CAI wishes to all.  As we celebrate the dawn of the Lunar New Year and welcome the year with a big bang.

Some key highlights from last month

  1. Junior rugby restarted training on the 9th of January and we have seen week on week significant new numbers of kids signing up. Our sincerest appreciation to all the volunteer coaches dedicating their time and effort to manage this extraordinary programme. And we do welcome all members and friends to come in and to join us if there’s interest in coaching. We have also got underprivileged children from a home joining us again and we as a club will try to support them with our C-HWC initiative too.

  1. Senior rugby has also started and COBRA BLACKS participating in the KRS League. COBRA has played 3 matches so far and we have won 2 out of the 3 games. Kudos to Coach Niko and his team. Our current team are a raw and young development squad who are showing a lot of promise. The Results of the games so far:-

  • COBRA vs The GREENS   (49-0)
  • COBRA vs SMS Old Boys  (13-24)
  • COBRA vs OPA Black Scorpions  (51-12)

  1. Our Club B&R and the Sports Complex activities is seeing steady state weekly patronage and Rugby is On TV now consistently. Significant recovery of patronage can be noted.

  1. Carlsberg have indicated their commitment to sponsor Men’s Senior Rugby for the next 3 years with a sponsorship of RM 50,000 per year. We thank Carlsberg for consistently being there to support the team. Also we have had numerous anonymous donors who have contributed for the first quarter costs and expenses for our team’s jerseys, training tops and costs of the KRS tournament. We thank our generous benefactors who have always had a big heart for COBRA Rugby.

Here’s wishing all of us in COBRA a successful year of good health, prosperity and loads of rugby happiness for this Tiger New Year. And once again We look forward to seeing many more of you come join in our activities as well as swing by for a meal/ drink as we cherish our small special rugby family here in Malaysia.

Cheers,

Darryll

image003.jpg

to...@rqnet.com.my

Jan 31, 2022, 10:45:38 PM1/31/22
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, cobra...@googlegroups.com

Mr President,

Thank you very much for sharing the uplifting news after a gloomy two years for all and sundry.

Heartiest congratulations on the sponsorships secured from Carlsberg and the others.

We hope COBRA, together with the rest of the world, will spring back with total  gusto in the year ahead

It is also hoped that the year of the Tiger will see the successful hosting of the oft postponed 50th COBRA 10s.

All the roaring best

Tommy

--
COBRA RUGBY - Passion For Rugby
---

image003.jpg

JOSEPH GOMEZ

Feb 1, 2022, 9:46:30 PM2/1/22
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, cobra...@googlegroups.com

Well done Darryll and team.

Thank you for extraordinary efforts.

Take care,

Joseph Gomez

Executive Director

logo ser (2)

Servicom Medical S/B.

A2-20, PJIP

No 3, Jalan Kemajuan, Section 13

46200 Petaling Jaya,

Selangor, MALAYSIA

Tel : +603 7932 3778

www.servicommed.com

Disclaimer:

This message may contain confidential and privileged information meant only for its intended recipients(s).  If you are not the , or among the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, printing or copying of this message or any part thereof is strictly probibited. Please delete the entire message and inform the sender of the error. Any opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that are unrelated to official business of the Servicom Group should not be understood given or endorsed by Servicom Group.

Jul 4, 2023, 11:06:03 PM7/4/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, cobra...@googlegroups.com

Dear members and friends,

Greetings from all of us in the EXCO,

Some key highlights from last month which was a mega rugby month for COBRA.

Junior rugby had a very active month with various age groups having joint trainings and friendlies with numerous other clubs and teams. Namely the Girls Touch teams with SK SetiaWangsa, Malaya Knights and KL Saracens. Boys U16 with VI, Boys U11 with KL Tigers and KL Saracens among all other age groups conducting regular trainings as well as extra Saturday trainings too.

Coaches Development - We were also very fortunate to have Penguins RFC conduct a 10-day coaching clinic which included a weekend Coaches Camp/Retreat in PD. Over 35 participants from COBRA attended it.  We had 2 world class coaches from UK and New Zealand, Steve Hill and Ben Fisher who were with us doing a coach the coaches development programme fully sponsored by Penguins RFC global rugby development initiative. COBRA is very blest indeed to have a deep-rooted collaboration and partnership with Penguins RFC and they are now considering an annual Coach the Coaches programme for us done by the highest level of standard elite coach educators.

Ladies Rugby – COBRA Venom had a great weekend coming in Champions of the Balik Pulau 10s in Penang. Many congratulations to the team and Coach Faiz for this great performance by our ladies.

Senior Mens’ – COBRA Blacks came back strongly in the KRS League following a narrow defeat to Police in our 2nd game (19-27) to record an emphatic win in the 3rd game of the division by beating SMS Old Boys 34-0. Special note of thanks to Coach Niko and Capt Naza who have brought our team to a very competitive level once again in the country.

On the same note, we also must accept a bigger calling for Niko now as he has been appointed as Malaysia 7s Head Coach from July. And as this commitment is a full time one, he has stepped down as our Club Convenor and Head Coach too. We wish him all the very best in this highest honor for the country as Head Coach of Malaysia. We can be proud of yet another son of COBRA being given this honor.

Club B&R – we have now signed our agreement with Sideline LLC from UAE.  And they plan to start operations in September launching the renovated and refurbished clubhouse of ours in time for the Rugby World Cup 2023 in September. The plan is to make COBRA club one of the best sports bar and restaurants in the country. The club will now be undergoing refurbishment works the next 2 months. We will remain operational and the reno works will be conducted in a staged/phased approach ensuring that any one time a section of the B&R will always remain open. We may have just a week or 2 of downtime just before the launch of the world cup and the refurbished and newly minted facility of ours will be officially launched with the RWC kick off.

Sideline LLC will also be now one of our anchor sponsors for C10s and for Men’s Senior team where they will also plan to boost our team with pro players from abroad.

We have many big events planned with the RWC and with our 50th Anniversary C10s in November. Here’s to us levelling up as a Club in all fronts.

Cheers,

Darryll

Sree Pathmanathan

Jul 4, 2023, 11:19:46 PM7/4/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com
Dearest Darryll,
Great effort and very happy that the club is moving forward positively !
Congratulations and my best wishes to you and your committee for their efforts and commitment to the club !
God Bless
Sree

--
COBRA RUGBY - Passion For Rugby
---

JOSEPH GOMEZ

Jul 4, 2023, 11:19:54 PM7/4/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com

Well done to you and the team/ committee involved. This is not an easy task but an outstanding achievement. If the committee is celebrating these outstanding efforts , please call me to join in. Ha ha.

Please do ensure that the IJM name is taken care of in the process. Sorry to comment.

Take care,

Joseph Gomez

Margaret Lee

Jul 5, 2023, 2:52:50 AM7/5/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com
Mr President,

Kudos to you and your team for this encouraging news update!!  Will pray for Cobra's successful face-lift to a new level.

Best wishes to COBRA..

Sree Pathmanathan

Jul 5, 2023, 3:40:57 AM7/5/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com

Wow ! Best wishes to you Darrell n the committee, for your commitment!
Best Regards
Sree

darryll....@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2023, 3:20:24 AM8/9/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, cobra...@googlegroups.com

Dear members and friends,

Greetings from all of us in the EXCO ,

Some key highlights from July being another mega rugby month for the club,

Junior rugby – another active month with various age groups having joint trainings and friendlies with numerous other clubs and teams. Key mentions

  • U13, U14 & U16 teams had joined Training Sessions and a Friendly match with Meru Juggernauts.
  • 15/16th July - U16 Boys and Girls team U16/U18 participated in UTP 10s tourney in Ipoh.  Cobra Boys U16 and Girls team U18 took part in Universiti Teknologi Petronas Super 10s Championship 2023 in Ipoh, Perak. Both teams had a good tourney with our girls coming in Runners up in the Cup Finals.
  • GT12/14 had a mini friendly tourney on the 22nd of July at Astaka grounds, Our girls team came in Cup Runners up in the finals.
  • U10 had friendly games organized with SKS one weekend and another weekend with Cyborgs in Cyberjaya whilst U11 and U12 participated at friendlies in MMU in Cyberjaya. We fielded 2 teams in both age groups and our teams performed magnificently in the games.
  • U9 had a friendly against KL Saracens at MSN Kampung Baru sports complex.

Ladies Rugby – COBRA Venom continued with regular training sessions for the month preparing for future tournaments.

Senior Mens’ – COBRA Blacks had a great season in the KRS league. Finishing 5th. Rather unlucky due to technicalities of scoreline. We could have finished top 4 playing for the semis and Cup Finals.

In any case, our boys performed impressively and are clearly moving to the levels of full professional teams already. Results in July games as listed below.

- COBRA VS KL TIGERS RFC (won 43-21) - 9.7.2023

-  COBRA VS STAROBA RUGBY  (won 28-0) - 15.7.2023

-  COBRA VS MUAMALAT BULLETS (lost 12-41) - 19.7.2023

-  COBRA VS RMAF BLACKHAWKS (won 19-10) - 22.7.2023

2nd Round Placing for 5th/6th - COBRA VS STAROBA (won 26-5) - 29.7.2023.

Club B&R – Our partners Sideline have been busy with the external renovations and have made a lot of progress of works in the month. We will soon start the renovation works inside the facility and the B&R will be closed for a couple of weeks as the kitchen and bar refurbishment work start. The last day of service will be 14th of August 2023. And we will reopen with a bang for the Rugby World Cup kick offs in early September.  We will send regular updates on the Opening and the launch of Sideline at COBRA.

There will be a much more enhanced food menu and some add-on fantastic lineup of new beverages that can be expected.

COBRA 10s – We are now in the last 3 months stage of preparation for our 50th anniversary COBRA 10s. The Organising committee Chaired by Col Tommy are happy to have as many of our members and friends to come support in the various sub comms involved. Astaka field will start with field rehab and improvement works from September and our main field will be shut down for 2 months for the rehabilitation and field upgrading works.

We are also always ready to welcome more sponsors keen on coming in for this very special edition of the highest quality rugby tournament in Malaysia. Feel free to reach out to Col Tommy or anyone of us in the Exco for interest.

Cheers,

Darryll

JOSEPH GOMEZ

Aug 9, 2023, 6:18:06 AM8/9/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com

Read and noted with THANKS to all involved.

God Bless.

Joseph Gomez

Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 3:20 PM
To: cobra...@googlegroups.com; cobra...@googlegroups.com

--

COBRA RUGBY - Passion For Rugby
---

Andrew Bryan Perera

Aug 9, 2023, 8:34:08 AM8/9/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, COBRA Exco
Dear Mr. President,
Tq for the updates.
I believe upon completion of the state of the art renovations, we need Members to patronise our Club.
The many occasions I meet at the Club with a group of Friends, I only see non Members present.
Apart from responding to your regular updates, more importantly it will be good see Members at the Club spending n supporting F& B.

Will be at COBRA with about 10 persons to wine & dine this Sunday & also to Celebrate PH Victory.
Cheers
Bryan.

darryll....@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2023, 12:07:52 PM9/5/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, cobra...@googlegroups.com

Dear members and friends,

It is with our deepest sorrow that we inform you of the passing on of Mr Gan Kong Eng in Singapore. One of our early day members of COBRA and was also one of the founding seed sponsors for the C-HWC fund for kids of COBRA. Deepest condolences to his family and loved ones for their loss.

And,

Some key highlights from August

Junior rugby – various age groups had friendlies whilst Girl Touch U16/18 participated in the Shah Alam Touch Rugby Carnival and came out Cup Champions. Kudos to coaches and all players of the team.

Ladies Rugby – COBRA Venom continued with regular training sessions for the month preparing for future tournaments.

Senior Mens’ – COBRA Blacks continued with off season training following the completion of KRS league.

Club B&R – We are also pleased to announce the official reopening of our Bar and Restaurant. Our new fully refurbished clubhouse is now operated by our new partners SideLine! The place has been transformed to a new next level facility. Please do take note that we will be telecasting all the RWC 2023 matches in COBRA. We have also managed to get special MBPJ permission to be open for all games being broadcast. Many of which kick off is at 3 am Malaysian time.

Please do come and try out the new menu and be pleasantly surprised also to see the line-up of beverages available.

COBRA 10s – We are now 2 months away from kick off and field rehabilitation work has started.

Cheers,

Darryll

JOSEPH GOMEZ

Sep 5, 2023, 12:34:43 PM9/5/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com

Dear Mr Darryll,

Deepest condolence to Mr Gan Kong Eng.

I have been visiting the cobra club often during the renovations. The renovations look very good. Well done.

Please do consider the following:

1)     Please do spend some club money to conduct a ‘denggi’ spraying  exercise after all work material is cleared. This is more of a safety exercise for those visiting the club.

I look forward to visiting the club often and possibly having more of my business meetings at the club.

Overall, a great effort by all those involved. Thank you

Joseph Gomez

Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2023 12:08 AM
To: cobra...@googlegroups.com; cobra...@googlegroups.com

--

COBRA RUGBY - Passion For Rugby
---

to...@rqnet.com.my

Sep 5, 2023, 9:30:45 PM9/5/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, cobra...@googlegroups.com

Mr Gan Kong Eng was very passionate about COBRA right till the end; no matter where he was.

He played a significant role coordinating with Dr Hui and later with Dr Hui’s family on COBRA matters especially in COBRATS activities.

His message to me in 2021

I write to inquire if there is any development towards the Weng Choon Scholarship Fund we talked about and would greatly appreciate an update.

Another one to our President last year

Darryll

Congratulations

Looks like a whopping month for COBRA. I'm glad that the youngsters had a taste of what's to come and the functions were well attended.

Keep it up.

All the best.

Kong Eng

May his caring and beautiful soul Rest In Peace.

Regards

Tommy

Sep 5, 2023, 9:49:50 PM9/5/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com
A wonderful person and a great Cobra. May he rest in eternal peace and our heartfelt condolences to his family.

darryll....@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2023, 4:21:48 AM10/6/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, cobra...@googlegroups.com

Dear members and friends,

Some key highlights from September

Junior rugby – Highland Games held in Kiara Equestrian Club was the special event of the month. COBRATS age groups 6 to 18 participated in this amazing carnival event where rugby has always been the main draw event. We as COBRA can be proud to note that this has been the most successful Highland Games to date for us with us winning the Cup by our U6 and U9 teams. We also were Cup Runners up with 6 other age groups. U7s, U10s, U12s, U13s, U18s and Girls touch U18s. U13s B team also came in the Plate.

Amazing effort by the team of coaches involved with all teams.

Ladies Rugby and Senior Mens – both groups continued with regular training sessions for the month preparing for future tournaments. The Agong’s Cup was also ongoing and many of our Senior Men were representing the state teams.

Club B&R – We are now shy of a month since Sideline have opened the bar and kitchen service. RWC matches pool stage games every weekend is show-cased, and we are now reaching the tail end of the pool stages as we ready for the knockout stages of the RWC. The patronage of the facility is seen to grow and there are now drinks packages and a live band every Friday.

COBRA 10s – We are now a month away from kick off and we will be starting to get more active on the organizational parts. We are also in the process of digitalizing all our old C10s magazines. We would appreciate any members who have some of the very early editions to share with us as we would love to archive it in digital format. I am also attaching here the 4th edition of the C10s from 1970 for a walk down memory lane. Some key highlights - folks that have been performing for the Club in 1970 and are still here showing up in COBRA today in 2023. Mr. Jack Lee managing the food and Mr Gee Boon Kee as Player of the Year 1970 !  we hope to see you and more of your peers from then to come and join our C10s 50th edition this year.

We are still looking for the 1st 3 editions C10s magazine if it’s available with anyone, do share it with us. We would be very grateful to be able to digitalise it and return it back.

Cheers,

Darryll

1970 4th Rugby Tournament.pdf

JOSEPH GOMEZ

Oct 6, 2023, 4:57:18 AM10/6/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com

Dear Darryll,

Received and read . Thank you.

There is a  big rugby event at the Royal Selangor CLUB at Bukit Kiara tomorrow. Expected number of people will be 400 . Info only.

Take care,

Joseph Gomez

Executive Director

logo ser (2)

Servicom Medical S/B.

A2-20, PJIP

No 3, Jalan Kemajuan, Section 13

46200 Petaling Jaya,

Selangor, MALAYSIA

Mobile: +6012 6307978

LinkedIn

Sent: Friday, October 6, 2023 4:21 PM
To: cobra...@googlegroups.com; cobra...@googlegroups.com

--

COBRA RUGBY - Passion For Rugby
---

image001.jpg

Harris Beh

Oct 10, 2023, 7:56:48 PM10/10/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, cobra...@googlegroups.com, Gee Boon Kee, Dennis Pestana. Thai, Megat Najmuddin Tan Sri, K.Tan Boon Seng, Tommy Pereira

Excellent.

Thank you for the  !970 COBRA 10s Report.

Best regards.

Harris Beh

darryll....@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2023, 12:38:05 AM10/14/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com, cobra...@googlegroups.com

Dear members and friends,

The knock out stages of the World Cup starts today. The quarterfinals. Games are at 11pm and 3 am.

Come on over to COBRA, the best place for LIVE rugby in Malaysia today !

The Green Wave is supposed to be the big thing to watch out for in the world today !  Can Ireland show the world that GREEN is the new BLACK  ?

image001.png
image002.png