Lunch with our King

Boon Hoon Chee

Dec 9, 2023, 8:01:51 PM12/9/23
to Cobra

image0.jpeg
Had lunch with our beloved King and Queen  yesterday.

image1.jpeg
Event - Gathering of our Country’s Sports Icons/Legends from the 60s, 70s & 80s. Hosted by our sports writers then; George Das, Lazarus Rokk, R. Velu & Fauzi Omar.

image2.jpeg
First met Tuanku in 1985 - laying the ‘foundation stone’ of our COBRA Rugby Club Clubhouse building. Shared the photo with Tuanku. Tuanku said that he remembers the occasion…38 years ago!

image3.jpeg
Tuanku said that this is the one and only rugby game he ever played 😃

image4.jpeg
Selfie with our King and Queen 😎 When I requested for a selfie with Tuanku, as he was leaving, he called our Queen to join in and said…from rugby…from rugby.

Some of the Icons/Legends from yesteryears present. Very sure lots of you will remember them;
Soccer - Santokh Singh, Redzwan Abd, Yip Chee Kong, Abdah Alif.  Hockey - Yang Sow Ming, Wallace Tan, Kevin Nunis, Tam Siew Seng, Balasingam. Athletics - Marina Chin, Zaiton Othman, Muntaz Jaffar, Rajamani,  Nashatar Singh, Jegadasen,  Karu. Badminton - Rosalind, Sylvia Ng, Tan Aik Huang, Selvaraj. Rugby - Jagjit Singh

Message from the host 👇

Dear Sports Icons,

As we mingled among you last night, many memories of the past came flooding back.

These memories are precious as they are locked in our inner self forever.

We were so lucky to have come in contact with all of you as we went about in our work.

We would give anything to go back in time and live those moments. But alas we can't

Last night was an occasion for us to come out and say "thank you" to all of you.

Without all of you we would not have had anything to write.

You guys gave us the inspiration to conjure those stories that made our jobs easier .

Thank you for taking time to celebrate with us at the "SPORTS FLAME".

To the many, despite your illness and "handicap", you attended. We salute you.

All of you are truly "Sporting icons "

We'll continue to keep the "Flame" alight.

Wishing all of you the very best, keep well.

Cheers,

George Das, R. Velu, Fauzi Omar & Lazarus Rokk

10th December 2023

Sent from my iPhone

Harris Beh

Dec 11, 2023, 11:34:36 PM12/11/23
to cobra club rugby
Congratulations Boon!

Harris Beh

--
COBRA RUGBY - Passion For Rugby
---

Boon Hoon Chee

Dec 13, 2023, 12:56:49 AM12/13/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Mr. Harris Beh. It was really humbling to be amongst these sports icons of yesteryears. Sportsmen & women, who I read about in the newspapers while still in school, including my Club, State & Country Skipper, Jagjit Singh.

I shared a table with;
Marina Chin, Hurdler/Sprinter,  our ‘golden girl’, SEA Games KL 1977.

Jagjit Singh, Rugby Captain.

Nashatar Singh, double international; Athletics & Rugby.

Yang Sow Ming, Hockey Captain.

Balasingam, Hockey, 1975 World Cup star.

Karu, double international; Athletics & Cricket.

image0.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

jefftlester@btinternet.com jefftlester@btinternet.com

Dec 13, 2023, 3:23:21 AM12/13/23
to cobra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Boon,

Great to see you and Jagit at the Sport's lunch, shame that Boon Kee was not there!

During the 70s I also played soccer for JKR KL and remember meeting Santok Singh somewhere during a training session, could have been Brickfields? Things were much more easy going at that time.

Glad to hear that the 10s tournament was a success.

Best wishes for the remembering Seng Foo gathering.

Regards,

Jeff