Find genes associated with each subsystem in Recon3D model

yasaman taebi

May 22, 2023, 10:02:04 AM5/22/23
to COBRA Toolbox
Hello,
I want to find list of genes associated with each subsystems in Recon3D model. I used two function in cobratoolbox but they resulted in different subsystem:
1.findsubsysGen(model) resulted in 91 subsystems for 2248 genes in Recon
2.getModelSubsystems(model) resulted in 106 subsystems.
So I am confused in finding genes of each subsystem and appreciate your answer.
Regards
Yasaman

Farid Zare

May 23, 2023, 2:57:13 PM5/23/23
to COBRA Toolbox
Hi Yasaman,

"getModelSubSystems" returns all the Subsystems exist in a model.
"findSubSysGen" is a special case of "findSubSystemsFromGenes" where it considers all the genes in a model and returns only one subsystem for each gene.

To get the your desired result, I recommend using the following line:
>>[~,singleList] = findSubSystemsFromGenes(model)
The first column of "singleList" represents the genes and the corresponding cells in the second column represents all the associated subsystems.

Best,
Farid