No growth in draft model from modelseed

priya dharshini

Feb 17, 2018, 2:54:34 PM2/17/18
to COBRA Toolbox
Hello Everyone,

I am currently working with a draft plant model with multiple compartments consisting of 1155 metabolites and 1094 reactions. The draft model generated by modelseed, initially did not show any growth. Through the addition of demand reactions, it was found that precursor biotin was not being synthesized because all reactions preceding it were blocked. When I added a sink reaction for desthiobiotin (involved in biotin synthesis) the model shows some growth value. The flux through the added sink reaction is -0.008481.  The number of blocked reactions reduce from 707 to 404 with no change in the number of dead-end metabolites.

How can I determine which gaps to fill to make the model grow without the sink reaction? Is there a possible way to trace from which pathway the model takes the flux of - 0.008481?

Thomas Pfau

Feb 19, 2018, 1:01:26 AM2/19/18
to cobra-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Priya,

You could have a look at the surfNet function, which allows you to navigate the network. Other visualisation methods might also help but can become quite crowded.

Best

Thomas

--

---

Université du Luxembourg
Faculté des Sciences, de la Technologie et de la Communication
Campus Belval, Biotech II 115
6 avenue du Swing
L-4367 Belvaux
Tel: (+352) 46 66 44 5309
Email: thoma...@uni.lu

Almut Heinken

Feb 19, 2018, 3:44:03 AM2/19/18
to cobra-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Priya,
is the organism known to synthesize biotin?
best
Almut

--

---

Ronan M.T. Fleming

Feb 19, 2018, 6:17:41 AM2/19/18
to COBRA Toolbox
Mr. Ronan MT Fleming B.V.M.S. Dip. Math. Ph.D.
Senior research associate (EN) == Chercheur (FR),
Principal investigator,
Systems Biochemistry Group,
wwwen.uni.lu/lcsb/research/systems_biochemistry
Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine,
University of Luxembourg,
Campus Belval,
6, avenue du Swing,
L-4367 Belvaux.
&
National Centre of Excellence in Research on Parkinson’s disease
www.parkinson.lu
&
Adjunct Assistant Professor,
Division of Systems Biomedicine and Pharmacology,
Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research,
Faculty of Science,
Leiden University.
http://analyticalbiosciences.leidenuniv.nl
Mobile:  +352 621 175 112
Office: +352 466 644 5528
Skype: ronan.fleming
(This message is confidential and may contain privileged information. It is intended for the named recipient only. If you receive it in error please notify me and permanently delete the original message and any copies.)

priya dharshini

Feb 21, 2018, 9:45:07 AM2/21/18
to COBRA Toolbox
Thank you, Thomas !!

priya dharshini

Feb 21, 2018, 9:46:15 AM2/21/18
to COBRA Toolbox
Yes Almut, the organism synthesizes biotin.