Error while using OptKnock

Bhushan Dhamale

Nov 14, 2017, 12:14:17 PM11/14/17
to COBRA Toolbox
I am testing a few of the functions of the COBRA toolbox from the Schellenberger et al, 2011, Nature Protocol paper examples.
When I run the OptKnock function, I get the error message:

Reference to non-existent field 'rxnList'.
Error in setConstraintsIrrevModel (line 38)
constrProcessed = false*ones(length(constrOpt.rxnList),1);
Error in OptKnock (line 133)
constrOptIrrev = setConstraintsIrrevModel(constrOpt,model,modelIrrev,rev2irrev);

What might be done to remedy this problem?

P.S. I am attaching the live script and HTML files for reference.
E_coli_core_demo.mlx
E_coli_core_demo.html

Thomas Pfau

Nov 15, 2017, 12:37:28 AM11/15/17
to cobra-...@googlegroups.com
You missed a line from the protocol there:

>> constrOpt.rxnList = {‘Biomass_Ecoli_core_N(w/GAM)-Nmet2’, ‘ATPM’};

Best
Thomas
--

---

Université du Luxembourg
Faculté des Sciences, de la Technologie et de la Communication
Campus Belval, Biotech II 115
6 avenue du Swing
L-4367 Belvaux
Tel: (+352) 46 66 44 5309
Email: thoma...@uni.lu

Ronan M.T. Fleming

Nov 15, 2017, 1:11:58 AM11/15/17
to COBRA Toolbox

On 2017-11-14 18:14, Bhushan Dhamale wrote:
[...]

Mr. Ronan MT Fleming B.V.M.S. Dip. Math. Ph.D.
Senior research associate (EN) == Chercheur (FR),
Principal investigator,
Systems Biochemistry Group,
wwwen.uni.lu/lcsb/research/systems_biochemistry
Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine,
University of Luxembourg,
Campus Belval,
6, avenue du Swing,
L-4367 Belvaux.
&
National Centre of Excellence in Research on Parkinson’s disease
www.parkinson.lu
&
Adjunct Assistant Professor,
Division of Analytical Biosciences,
Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research,
Faculty of Science,
University of Leiden.
http://analyticalbiosciences.leidenuniv.nl
Mobile:  +352 621 175 112
Office: +352 466 644 5528
Skype: ronan.fleming
(This message is confidential and may contain privileged information. It is intended for the named recipient only. If you receive it in error please notify me and permanently delete the original message and any copies.)

Bhushan Dhamale

Nov 15, 2017, 2:06:46 AM11/15/17
to COBRA Toolbox
Silly me!
Sorry about that.

On inserting the constrOpt.rxnList, I get the following output for optKnockSol.rxnList:

ans = 5×1 cell array
{'GLUDy' } {'GLUSy' } {'ICDHyr' } {'NADTRHD'} {'PFL' }

However, the paper mentions ALCD2x, FUM, GLUDY, ME2, PYK in the knockout list.
Why am I getting 4 different reactions?
E_coli_core_demo.mlx
E_coli_core_demo.html

Bhushan Dhamale

Nov 15, 2017, 2:09:15 AM11/15/17
to COBRA Toolbox
Hello Ronan,
I was unaware of this.
Thank you for bringing it to my notice.
This will definitely be of great help to me.

Best,
Bhushan

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 11:41:58 AM UTC+5:30, Ronan M.T. Fleming wrote:
On 14 November 2017 at 21:35, Thomas Pfau <thoma...@uni.lu> wrote:
You missed a line from the protocol there:

>> constrOpt.rxnList = {‘Biomass_Ecoli_core_N(w/GAM)-Nmet2’, ‘ATPM’};

Best
Thomas

Thomas Pfau

Nov 15, 2017, 2:37:03 AM11/15/17
to cobra-...@googlegroups.com

I can't tell you for sure, but:
The set returned by the current function gives a better by-product excretion with a lower biomass production to the solution in the paper. It might be that at some point the tradeoff was changed or that the model (ecoli_core) was slightly altered.
Now there is an additional change from back then:

The rev field was deprecated. EColiCore has multiple reactions with a rev field of 1 (indicating a reversible reaction) but a lower bound of 0 (indicating irreversibility), thus contradicting each other.

So this could be another issue thats playing into this change.

Best

Thomas

Bhushan Dhamale

Nov 15, 2017, 7:27:47 AM11/15/17
to COBRA Toolbox
Hello Thomas,
Thank you for clearing that up.

Where might I be able to find the meaning of the fields contained within the optKnock structure array?

Best,
Bhushan

Thomas Pfau

Nov 15, 2017, 8:07:33 AM11/15/17
to cobra-...@googlegroups.com

Have a look at the function documentation. The output is essentially the solution structure returned by solveCobraMILP when solving the OptKnock problem.

2 fields are added:

rxnList (the knock out reactions, if there is a suggested knockout)

fluxes (the fluxes of the suggested solution.

Best

Thomas

Ronan M.T. Fleming