writeSBML error

Uri David Akavia

Mar 11, 2017, 9:32:05 PM3/11/17
to COBRA Toolbox
Hi.

I'm having trouble writing metabolic models to SBML. If I try RECONv2.04 (the mat file, downloaded from the RECON site) and try to write it to SBML, I get various errors in  OutputSBML.
Issue #161 suggests it is a result of unsupported characters, but RECONv2.04 doesn't have them. Any suggestions? Can I help debug this issue?

Yours,

Uri David

Uri David Akavia

Mar 11, 2017, 9:51:03 PM3/11/17
to COBRA Toolbox
Never mind.
Apparently, writeCbModel works as long as it doesn't get a directory, only a file name.
So, basically,
writeCbModel(modelR204, 'sbml', 'RECON'); works great
writeCbModel(modelR204, 'sbml', '~/PATH/RECON'); doesn't work.
I'll see about adding the option of specifying a path some other time.

Cheers,

Uri David

Thomas PFAU

Mar 12, 2017, 1:42:14 AM3/12/17
to cobra-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Uri:

That's actually not a COBRA problem (I think), but a problem of either Matlab or the libSBML bindings.
~ is for some reason not recognized as you home folder. I had a similar issue once and changing it to the actual folder (i.e. with /home/user/abc instead of ~/abc works fine.

I'll have a closer look on Monday.

Best
Thomas
Mar 13, 2017, 1:48:07 AM3/13/17
to cobra-...@googlegroups.com

HI again,

This is indeed a problem of the libSBML bindings which use c++. And by default fopen does not recognize ~ as a placeholder for the home directory, leading to the observed effect. I'll let them know and (hopefully) this will be fixed in the next libSBML release which is due to be released at the beginning of April.

Best,

Thomas

--
Université du Luxembourg
Faculté des Sciences, de la Technologie et de la Communication

Ronan M.T. Fleming

Mar 15, 2017, 4:00:55 AM3/15/17
to COBRA Toolbox, Sarah Keating
Hi Uri,
we have been working on the SBML interface recently, so I am surprised you are having problems with it. Are you using the latest version:
Ronan

--

---

Mr. Ronan MT Fleming B.V.M.S. Dip. Math. Ph.D.
Senior research associate (EN) == Chercheur (FR),
Principal investigator,
Systems Biochemistry Group,
wwwen.uni.lu/lcsb/research/systems_biochemistry
Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine,
University of Luxembourg,
Campus Belval,
6, avenue du Swing,
L-4367 Belvaux.
&
National Centre of Excellence in Research on Parkinson’s disease
www.parkinson.lu
&
Adjunct Assistant Professor,
Division of Analytical Biosciences,
Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research,
Faculty of Science,
University of Leiden.
http://analyticalbiosciences.leidenuniv.nl
Mobile:  +352 621 175 112
Office: +352 466 644 5528
Skype: ronan.fleming
(This message is confidential and may contain privileged information. It is intended for the named recipient only. If you receive it in error please notify me and permanently delete the original message and any copies.)

Uri David Akavia

Mar 15, 2017, 9:29:58 AM3/15/17
to cobra-...@googlegroups.com, Sarah Keating
Hi.

This was already resolved, with the help of Thomas Pfau.

Uri David

--

---