unit conversion

Chrystian Camilo Sosa Arango

Oct 26, 2023, 8:59:33 PM10/26/23
to cobra pie
How can I convert micromoles per second per liter (µmol s⁻¹ L⁻¹) to millimoles per gram of dry cell weight per hour (mmol gDCW⁻¹h⁻¹)?

Thanks in advance!

Matthias König

Oct 27, 2023, 4:24:57 AM10/27/23
to Chrystian Camilo Sosa Arango, cobra pie
You have to figure out the conversion factor from your experiments.
You have a certain total cell volume in your experiments: sample volume - water/buffer volume (probably you can get this via centrifugation).
For the same sample you need then the measured g dryweight. Then you can use this convertion factor; i.e. x L cells ~ y g dryweight.
I.e. you need an experimental measurement or approximation which gives for a given sample the conversion from L cells to g dryweight. E.g. for human tissue a good approximation is 1 ml ~ 1 g dry weight. In your case you have the problem to figure out how much of your sample are actual cells (probably some approximations via the optical density of the sample exist).

Hope this helps.
Best Matthias

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 2:59 AM Chrystian Camilo Sosa Arango <chrysti...@gmail.com> wrote:
How can I convert micromoles per second per liter (µmol s⁻¹ L⁻¹) to millimoles per gram of dry cell weight per hour (mmol gDCW⁻¹h⁻¹)?

Thanks in advance!

Matthias König

Oct 27, 2023, 4:25:51 AM10/27/23
to Chrystian Camilo Sosa Arango, cobra pie
Sorry: for tissues this is of course not g dry weight, but just weight: 1 ml ~ 1 g