Bird Conservancy of the Rockies- Chico Basin Ranch 5/26/22

Chicobander

May 26, 2022, 3:01:48 PM5/26/22
to Colorado Birds
A beautiful day at the ranch today. Nice weather and little wind. We still had our banded White-eyed Vireo and female Black-throated green around today. They have been here since at least middle of last week and weathered the snow storm. Hardy little birds they are!

Tomorrow is the last day of the spring banding season. I have learned a great deal from all the diverse birders visiting the banding station. I very much appreciate all of your willingness to share your knowledge of Colorado bird natural history and other facts. Many kudos to the volunteers who worked very hard to pitch in wherever needed. Your efforts made the season go by quickly.
Who knows when our paths may cross again. Hopefully sooner than later. But until then, May the wind always be at your back. :) (and we know the wind likes to blow here in SE Colorado!) Thanks again!
I wish you all the best.

Today we captured 20 bird species. Swainson's Thrush and Western 'Cordilleran' Flycatchers were the highest number banded. (Western flycatcher- banders have to record them as they have some measurements that overlap with the Pacific-slope flycatcher- Bird Banding Laboratory has not accepted the distinct two population especially during migration periods). Most of the Recaptures today have increased their weight since the last time of capture. Those that lost weight a bit were not much lower weight than when initially banded.

47 New Banded Birds
Yellow Warbler -2
Wilson's Warbler -2
MacGillivray's Warbler -5
Western 'Cordilleran' Flycatcher -8
Western Wood-pewee -1
Warbling Vireo -2
Plumbeous Vireo -2
Lazuli Bunting -1
Lark Sparrow -2
Spotted Towhee -1
Swainson's Thrush -15
Hermit Thrush -2
Brown Thrasher -2
Gray Catbird -1

17 Recaptures/Repeats/Returns
Swainson's Thrush -7
Veery -1
Gray Catbird -2
White-eyed Vireo -1
Lincoln's Sparrow -2
Yellow-breasted Chat -1
Bullock's Oriole -2 (Returns from previous years)
Black-throated Green Warbler -1

Julie Shieldcastle
Spring Bander, Chico Basin Ranch
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies