Northern Bobwhite Larimer County

Pat Hayward

Jul 16, 2024, 9:11:48 AM (6 days ago) Jul 16
to Colorado Birds
Good morning,
   Off and on for the past week or so we've been hearing a northern bobwhite calling, but last evening he ended up in our yard so we got a good look (not that there was any doubt with a call THAT distinctive). At one point he was feeding on bird seed I'd spilled (on purpose) on the ground under the feeder, but that didn't seem to be his whole purpose for being in the yard.
   What's particularly interesting is that we haven't heard a bobwhite for probably about 20 years here.
   Also of note is the variety of birds going after the hummingbird feeders, including  downy woodpeckers.
   Lastly, FOY male rufous hummingbird was visiting our geranium patio pots. Not much else blooming in the garden right now with all this heat!
Pat Hayward
Masonville, west of Fort Collins at 5400'