Juncos and thistle feeders - Jefferson

mille...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2023, 11:41:24 AM1/23/23
to Colorado Birds
Good morning,

Yesterday while I was observing the thistle feeder that hangs outside my living room window, I saw a slate-colored junco eating from the tube. Normally dominated by the local house finches, I've seen a junco or two on the tube during our worse storms this year, but this was the first time I've observed one on the feeder itself on a nice day.

I did some sleuthing around and all I could find was a 2005 column in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that hinted that this may be more common than is generally acknowledged. The columnist was as surprised by his observation as I was mine - though he supposedly had a large number of letters testifying to this behavior. I'm curious to know if any others on this list have noticed this behavior at their own feeder set ups?

This still is not what I'd classify a regular occurrence, but I'm interested to follow along and see if our neighborhood juncos start to show up more frequently on the feeder itself rather than simply cleaning up below it.

Cheers,

Max Miller
Lakewood, CO