Unusual coloration of a Summer Tanager

Janeal Thompson

Jul 7, 2024, 5:48:29 PM (8 days ago) Jul 7
to Colorado Birds
Norma Verhoeff and I found and photographed this Summer Tanager (SUTA) on our birding trip to Higbee Valley Road, La Junta (Otero Co) CO on 05Jul2024.  The bird was striking with this unusual coloration of an all-yellow tail and rump in contrast to the bright red body.  Is this typical of a molting SUTA or some anomaly? This bird was foraging near a small ditch.  Summer Tanager  2024Jul5 Higbee Valley Road LaJunta (Otero Co) CO by Janeal Thompson-2.jpgSummer Tanager  2024Jul5 Higbee Valley Road LaJunta (Otero Co) CO by Janeal Thompson.jpg

Charles Hundertmark

Jul 7, 2024, 8:08:22 PM (8 days ago) Jul 7
to Janeal Thompson, Cobirds
Perhaps a second=year male that hasn’t completed it’s molt.
Chuck Hundertmark

On Jul 7, 2024, at 3:48 PM, Janeal Thompson <prairies...@gmail.com> wrote:

Norma Verhoeff and I found and photographed this Summer Tanager (SUTA) on our birding trip to Higbee Valley Road, La Junta (Otero Co) CO on 05Jul2024.  The bird was striking with this unusual coloration of an all-yellow tail and rump in contrast to the bright red body.  Is this typical of a molting SUTA or some anomaly? This bird was foraging near a small ditch.  <Summer Tanager  2024Jul5 Higbee Valley Road LaJunta (Otero Co) CO by Janeal Thompson-2.jpg><Summer Tanager  2024Jul5 Higbee Valley Road LaJunta (Otero Co) CO by Janeal Thompson.jpg>

<Summer Tanager  2024Jul5 Higbee Valley Road LaJunta (Otero Co) CO by Janeal Thompson-2.jpg><Summer Tanager  2024Jul5 Higbee Valley Road LaJunta (Otero Co) CO by Janeal Thompson.jpg>

Janeal Thompson

Jul 8, 2024, 6:13:36 PM (7 days ago) Jul 8
to Colorado Birds
Thank you for your input, Chuck.

Janeal Thompson
Lamar, CO