Warbler situation at CU (Boulder)

DAVID A LEATHERMAN

Nov 17, 2022, 10:41:16 AM11/17/22
to COBIRDS
Wanting to see the warbler situation at the CU Regents Building firsthand, I visited it yesterday on my way home from Denver.  The tree that appears to have been the epicenter of activity is, indeed, a European Beech (Fagus sylvatica).  It had aphids, which I believe are Phyllaphis fagi.  The "yellow-leafed oak" just west of the beech is what I think is a Swamp White Oak (Quercus nigra).  The pines nearby which also hosted at least the Nashville and maybe some of the other three species of warblers were mostly Austrian (Pinus nigra) and I did see one Schizolachnus type aphid in them.  There were many other oaks of various types, both from the white oak and red oak groups, west, north and east of the Regents Buildings.  They also had a few aphids.  I saw no warblers yesterday between 3 and 4:15pm.  If the show is over, it is amazing how they knew to get out of town when they could.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins

DAVID A LEATHERMAN

Nov 17, 2022, 12:22:12 PM11/17/22
to COBIRDS
Swamp White Oak should be Quercus bicolor.  There is a typo in my previous note this morning.

FYI, the Chestnut-sided Warbler first found on 11Nov2022 CONTINUES this morning in the beech grove in the southwest corner of the CSU PERC gardens west of the football stadium, feeding away in the snow storm on European beech aphids.  A Ruby-crowned Kinglet and Black-capped Chickadees were also doing the same.

Dave