Snowy May evening, hummers gather, swallows shiver

David Suddjian

May 20, 2022, 10:13:22 PM5/20/22
to Colorado Birds
It's evening dim now here at Ken Caryl Valley, with a number of hummingbirds crowding in for last drinks. It has snowed steadily since late morning, but accumulations so far here of only about 5 inches, none on paved areas. Recent evenings I've had a hummer or two. Just now it was at least 12 Broad-taileds and 1 Black-chinned. Last call.

Earlier today a Veery was at Mann Reservoir in South Valley Park. 100s of swallows were riding it out there, too, including a cloud of 250 Cliffs that kept transitioning from a feeding cloud to crowd shivering and wing-quivering packed onto the shore. Spring hardy times again for our swallows! Perhaps they are thinking as I am at the moment, "What happened to our 80 degree days?"

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO