Mexican Duck, Arapahoe County

Brian Johnson

Feb 19, 2021, 11:47:20 PM2/19/21
to Colorado Birds

After work at the library nearby I went over to Cherry Creek Reservoir to see if the Mexican Duck was still present. It was. A couple from Colorado Springs (if I remember right) were the ones that found it for me and a few others. I didn't get their name but I am quit grateful, the duck was well hidden at the time in the priers in some shadows. This is at the marina on the west side of the park.
It was a good afternoon, other then that awful wind, the reservoir was nearly frozen over with only the marina it's self open. And it was chock full of Common Mergansers. At least around 500 of them, I broke the ebird filter with that count. I have seen Common Mergs in rafts before but not so densely packed. It was amazing. Along with them were several Red-breasted Mergansers (broke another filter) and a lone Long-tailed Duck in the middle of that supper raft, along with Bufflheads, Common Goldeneyes (no Barrows that I found), Mallards and a lone Lesser Scaup. Also cool, Hooded Mergansers, so I saw all three mergs in one spot. Always a good achievement.
Along with the ducks their were several gulls, Ring-billed, a few Herring, one California and a interesting hybrid. There was also two Bald Eagles that the other birds didn't seem to mind.
One odd thing, I saw no Coots, which are usually all over the place. Someone mentioned seeing a few so they are their, just not as numerous.
Good birding, good company and  good weather (minus the wind).
Brian Johnson,
Englewood CO