Pineridge Natural Area

Camille

May 19, 2024, 2:51:07 PMMay 19
to Colorado Birds
Activity this week has taken a dramatic decline within this migratory stopover area. Although Larimer County saw a spike in migration the night of May 15th, our capture rate remained low (BirdCast, May 16th 2024). We've had quite a few returning birds that were banded at Pineridge Natural Area either last Fall or last Spring including Yellow Warblers, Bullock's Orioles and a Brown-headed Cowbird. Some exciting new species include a Lazuli Bunting, Cedar Waxwing, and Tennessee Warbler. Thank you to all the volunteers and BCR staff that help keep this station going! I will provide the season totals for new birds, indicating new species with a *, and revise my previous editions to only include recaps that are returning from the previous seasons.

Mourning Dove - 1

*Downy Woodpecker - 1

Red-shafted Flicker - 4

Least Flycatcher - 5

Dusky Flycatcher - 2

Unknown Empidonax - 1

Black-capped Chickadee - 1 New, 4 Return

Bushtit - 2 New

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1

*Cedar Waxwing - 1

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 1

Rock Wren - 1

House Wren - 6

Gray Catbird - 27 New 2 Return

Brown Thrasher - 3

European Starling - 3

Swainson's Thrush - 22

Hermit Thrush - 3

American Robin - 7

American Goldfinch - 24 New 1 Return

*Chipping Sparrow - 2

White-crowned Sparrow (Gambel's) - 4

Song Sparrow - 2 Return

Lincoln Sparrow - 8

Spotted Towhee - 7 New 1 Return

Yellow-breasted Chat - 4 New 1 Return

Bullock's Oriole - 4 New 7 Return

Red-winged Blackbird - 41

Brown-headed Cowbird - 1 New 1 Return

Common Grackle - 14

Northern Waterthrush - 4

*Tennessee Warbler - 1

Orange-crowned Warbler - 34

Virginia's Warbler - 3

MacGillivray's Warbler - 6

Common Yellowthroat - 4

Yellow Warbler - 8 New 7 Return

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle, Audubon's, and Unknown Intermediates) - 346

Wilson's Warbler - 1

*Western Tanager - 2

*Black-headed Grosbeak - 1

*Lazuli Bunting - 1

This banding station will be operating Tuesday through Saturday until May 30th, weather and trail conditions permitting. Visitors are welcome and can register here. Park at the Maxwell Natural Area parking lot and walk south along the trail towards Dixon Reservoir, and you will see our table and awning on the hillside to the left of the access trail. Come visit!

Camille Blose

Bird Conservancy of the Rockies