Highlands Ranch - Bohemian Waxwings (BOWA) - large flock

Gregg Goodrich

Jan 28, 2023, 6:22:39 PM1/28/23
to Cob...@googlegroups.com
2 days in a row now with 4 different sightings of BOWAs, enjoying the crabapples in the neighborhoods around Gleneagles Village Pkwy and Cresthill Ln. I can relate to Ted Floyd's post about bounding out of the house yesterday morning to see the Bohemian Waxwings in my robe. Had to get photos and a recording and alert the birding neighbors to my YARD BIRD number 94! Yea!

After finding them in a number of places in the south metro area in the past 2 weeks, they finally came to our Douglas county neighborhood. So fun to watch. They come in very compact flight groups. Then cram into the tops of trees cheek to cheek. We have Red-winged Blackbirds in the area, but the BOWAs form a much tighter group in the tops of the trees. Usually above a fruiting tree where they take turns in groups devouring the fruits. They wash it down with snow and the snow melts.

They are not on a strict schedule. Yesterday at 8:00 for a few minutes and then gone. Back in the afternoon. This morning a smaller group at 7:30 and gone in 15, then came back at 8:30 for about 15 minutes. Doug Kibbe had a large group just east of here at around 11:00. Maybe they are moving a little more south now and Brandon will get a nice invasion in Pueblo. The new storm may help. It's a wonder there are so many sightings this year, but a wanderer must wander to give more folks a change to view.

Gregg Goodrich
Highlands Ranch