Bohemian Waxwing history

Andrews Robert

Jan 29, 2023, 8:41:48 PM1/29/23
to Cobirds

Hello all,

During the 1960s into the 1980s, there were large to moderate numbers about every two or three years. Most of my observations, especially of large numbers, have been from mid-November to mid-March, with less frequent observations of smaller numbers later in March into April. Most of my observations were in southeast Denver, in the Virginia Village area between Holly and Monaco, north of Florida, and the adjacent Cherry Creek. Some observations in the late 70s and 80s were from Boulder, mostly the CU campus.

This is a summary of my observations.

Winter 1964-1965: large numbers in southeast Denver. This was just at the beginning of my birding, so I have no specific dates. I remember seeing large flocks roaming our neighborhood and descending on crab apple trees in our yard in January. I did see the rufous under tail coverts and the white and yellow marks on the wings, so they were definitely Bohemians. I think Bailey and Niedrach’s book (which I don’t have with me here) gives some detail on this invasion, and as I recall birds were seen into April.

Winter 1966-1967: I saw birds from December 30 to March 21, with up to 500-600 seen on some days.

Winter 1968-1969: I saw birds from November 16 to January 5, with the highest day count 412 on December 24.

Winter 1972-1973: small numbers (up to 30) seen from December 16 to February 3, and one on April 20.

Winter 1973-1974: just a single observation of 75 on January 26.

Winter 1976-1977: many observations from December 14 to April 12, with up to 400-500 on some days in mid-March, and 25-60 on two dates in April.

Winter 1978-1979: modest numbers (35-75) from February 28 to April 6. The birds on April 6 were observed along Cherry Creek between Holly and Monaco. They were actively fly-catching, and were dispersed along the creek individually rather than in a tight flock as is normal in the winter.

Winter 1981-1982: a single observation of 12 on April 22.

Winter 1984-1985: two observations of 100-300 on January 11-12.

Winter 1986-1987: 150 on February 23 and 100 on April 21.

Winter 1990-1991: I was out very little that winter so I missed most of that invasion, but I observed 115 on January 26.

From 1992 to 2008 I was living out of Colorado (mostly in Africa), so if there were any invasions those years, I would not have any record of it.

From late 2008 to early 2012 I was in Colorado year-round, but I have no observations in any of those winters.

From 2012 until now I have been Africa most of the year, except from late May to early August, so I would not have seen any Bohemian Waxwings even if there was an invasion.

Since I arrived back in Colorado on January 13, I have been out eight times, but have seen Bohemian Waxwings only once (thanks to Dave Hill and Cynthia Madsen). I am hoping to find some more and see them closer and in better light.

Bob Andrews

Yekepa, Liberia, West Africa

Currently taking a one-semester sabbatical and staying in Centennial