Colorado Christmas Bird Count highlights

Brandon

Feb 25, 2021, 4:23:49 PM2/25/21
to cobirds, ws...@googlegroups.com, durango-...@googlegroups.com
Since a few people were asking what were the highlights for this past winter's Colorado Christmas Bird Counts.

Here is a quick report.  The species total for the 49 Colorado CBCs is 199 species on count day, plus six count week species.  There are many other highlights, that I will summarize in my Annual Summary, for Colorado CBCs.

Here are the countable species that were only found on 1 of the 49 Colorado CBC (count day species) this past winter:
Black Scoter (Durango CBC)
Greater Sage-Grouse (Granby)
Gunnison Sage-Grouse (Gunnison)
Greater Prairie-Chicken (Bonny Reservoir)
Red-throated Loon (Pueblo Reservoir)
Red-necked Grebe (Pueblo Reservoir)
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Denver (Urban)
Osprey (Hotchkiss)
Mew Gull (Pueblo Reservoir)
Glaucous-winged Gull (Loveland)
Greater Roadrunner (Pueblo Reservoir)
Williamson's Sapsucker (Pueblo)
Eastern Phoebe (Fort Collins)
Carolina Wren (John Martin Reservoir)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Grand Junction)
Wood Thrush (Pueblo)
Varied Thrush (North Jeff Co)
Gray Catbird (Rocky Ford)
Sage Thrasher (Hotchkiss)
Bohemian Waxwing (Steamboat Springs)
Snow Bunting (Granby)
Orange-crowned Warbler (Grand Junction)
Common Yellowthroat (Boulder)
Pine Warbler (Longmont)
Field Sparrow (Colorado Springs)
Fox Sparrow - Sooty (Boulder)
Fox Sparrow - Slate-colored (Roaring Fork River Valley)
Golden-crowned Sparrow (Grand Junction)
Yellow-headed Blackbird (John Martin Reservoir)
Rusty Blackbird (John Martin Reservoir)
Purple Finch (John Martin Reservoir)

Here are the Count Week only species:
Eurasian Wigeon (Penrose)
White-tailed Ptarmigan (Aspen)
Yellow-billed Loon (John Martin Reservoir)
Clark's Grebe (Pueblo Reservoir)
Dunlin (Loveland)
Clay-colored Sparrow (Longmont)
Fox Sparrow - Red (John Martin Reservoir)

Brandon Percival
Colorado CBC Regional Editor
Pueblo West, CO