CASSIA CROSSBILLS continue in summit county.

William Churchill Anderson

Jul 22, 2022, 1:35:47 PM7/22/22
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Nathan Pieplow, Luke Pheneger, and myself are up on Rock Creek Road in Summit County right now, and just recorded the continuing CASSIA CROSSBILLS. found here: (39.7213149, -106.1466327)

Good luck to those who chase,

Will Anderson
Boulder

David Suddjian

Jul 22, 2022, 1:39:06 PM7/22/22
to Colorado Birds
DFO has a trip going up there on Tuesday to seek the Cassia Crossbill, with two spaces presently open.

Thanks for the update Will!,

David Suddjian
Littelton CO

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CADmRPBA1y%2BADO%3DTR92QXg1Kr58-CahPBJwNkm7t%2Bon9BNEHaUg%40mail.gmail.com.

Nathan Pieplow

Jul 22, 2022, 11:25:23 PM7/22/22
to cobirds
Hello all,

Here are a few more details on our encounters with apparent Cassia Crossbills in Summit County today. The first encounter was a quick flyover by a few birds right near the junction between Summit County Road 1851 and 1850 (i.e. the left turn signed to Rock Creek Trailhead). The exact spot was: https://goo.gl/maps/24CazNVzuQG5bAxw7, but it's probably best to park in the large pullout at the road junction just a little farther west.

Here's a link to the checklist with my recording of those birds:

We stopped a few other places along Rock Creek Road but did not have any more Cassia Crossbills until we reached the spot where Eric DeFonso reported them. To reach this spot, take the left turn onto Rock Creek Road (CR 1350), go all the way to the trailhead at the end, and then hike about half a mile up the trail to the first trail junction (link to map: https://goo.gl/maps/AjiqSdNPq3mRkMM16). Just as Eric reported, several crossbill family groups were foraging in this area, sometimes quietly, sometimes noisily coming and going. The majority were Type 2, with a few apparent Cassia Crossbills mixed in.

I made several recordings of the crossbills at this second location, which can be accessed here:

Be aware that the family groups of crossbills included many begging juveniles, singing adult males, and chitter calls from feeding flocks, in addition to flight calls and excitement calls, so the sounds coming from these birds are numerous and varied. Most of the crossbills in the area are Type 2, with apparent Cassias making up perhaps 20% or so. One group of Type 5s flew over us along the road.

Best of luck to anyone who chooses to chase these birds -- and remember to make audio recordings!

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 11:35 AM William Churchill Anderson <wian...@colorado.edu> wrote:

sm...@q.com

Jul 23, 2022, 3:25:21 PM7/23/22
to cobirds

Cobirders,

When I view Cobirds on my iPhone in Safari, messages that are replies to previous threads appear with the original message at the top and the newest message all the way at the bottom.  This requires scrolling all the way down to view the current post.  I have worked through all available settings on my Cobirds account, my iPhone and scoured online information to change it so the most current response appears first with no success.  I am coming to the conclusion it is due to the way the messages are being posted to Google Groups?  Any comments or solutions to this dilemma would be appreciated.  You can message me directly.

Thank you and good birding,

Steve Stachowiak

Highlands Ranch

Lynne Forrester

Jul 23, 2022, 3:37:29 PM7/23/22
to sm...@q.com, cobirds
Unfortunately that's the way it works. You can't change the order.