Sabine's Gull at Aurora Reservoir, Arapahoe, 9/1

David Suddjian

Sep 1, 2017, 6:36:05 PM9/1/17
to Colorado Birds
The first field trip of Denver Field Ornithologist's September Big Month went to Aurora Reservoir and Cherry Creek State Park this morning. A juvenile Sabine's Gull at Aurora Res was the distinct highlight. It was at the east end of the dam at the scuba beach from about 6:40 to 7:10 am at least. Otherwise, birding was quiet at both sites with very few landbirds and low diversity of shorebirds and other waterbirds. But we did enjoy studying the many Ring-billed and California gulls and discussing how to approach identifying gulls.

I think we added 44 species for the Big Month, which was less than I'd hoped, but that leaves lots more to be added on the whole array of DFO trips coming up. You can track the Big Month progress here:
From that link click on "select report" to find the September report. But it may take several hours for the first lists to be reflected there today.

Register for a DFO field trip here:

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley