Weld County Birding Weekend

The Nunn Guy

Jul 19, 2021, 2:50:48 PM7/19/21
to Colorado Birds

Hi all

My birding travels over the weekend ...

Saturday:
  • Sage Thrasher - 4 (along 41 btw 100/102. good spot to find them during migrations (looked like a family unit, too). Also, loads of Lark Bunting, some Grasshopper, Brewer's and Cassin's Sparrow, Bullock's Oriole, Northern Mockingbird and Great Horned Owl who typically roosts under either bridge)
  • McCown's Longspur - 20+ (about 1-2 miles south of 122/45 (on 45). lots of youngsters on road)
  • CR 124 Pond drawing down. Usual ducks and Greater Yellowlegs. 77/122 playa has water (only geese and mallards) and CR116/77 playa has water (full)-no birds
  • Burrowing Owls persist at CR 33 (E) btw 98/100; CR 59/74 (NW); and new CR 74 about 2 miles past 61 on south (on west side of small dairy operation)
Sunday:
  • Crom Lake starting to draw down (geese, mallards)
  • CR 84/31 marsh had 100s of Cliff Swallow and two Bank Swallow plus 54 Yellow-headed Blackbird group feeding in mowed grass on north
  • CR 59 marsh hosted Baird's, Semipalmated, and Spotted Sandpiper, many Wilson's Phalarope
  • Loloff Reservoir hosted 50-60 avocet, 20-30 phalarope and 250--300+ Franklin's Gull. The former oil and gas pad "trailhead overlook" parking area is now fenced off, too. Along CR 57.
  • Windsor Lake had two+ Forster's Tern
  • Woods Lake had gulls (Franklin's and RIng-billeds), both egrets and a Great Horned Owl sitting out in the open watching the gulls and ducks
  • Two Mute Swan ("wild" ones that can fly :-) )
Photos loading ...

Thanks, Gary Lefko, Nunn

The Nunn Guy

Jul 19, 2021, 4:41:38 PM7/19/21
to Colorado Birds
Hi all

Two more species for CR 59 marsh visit ... just confirmed.
  • Pectoral Sandpiper
  • Western Sandpiper

Linda M

Jul 25, 2021, 10:50:58 AM7/25/21
to Colorado Birds
We were at Loloff Reservoir yesterday, Saturday July 24, in a couple of locations along the road to the east, watching birds from the car.  A man who lives in the house on CR 57 on the west side drove over and wanted to know what we were doing.  He wasn't happy that people came out there and "looked into his windows".  Assured him we were just there to look at birds and talked for a few minutes.  He gave the name of the landowner on that side of the road and said they preferred to restrict access on that side too.

I've been out there many times and never had a problem.   Did not go on the east side because Gary indicated that the oil and gas pad "trailhead lookout" along CR 57 had been fenced off, and all the birds happened to be closer to the east side.

I just wondered if anyone else had experienced a problem.

Thanks,
Linda Martin

The Nunn Guy

Jul 26, 2021, 10:26:44 AM7/26/21
to Colorado Birds

Hi all

I've never had anyone approach me on CR 57-even with folks out in their yards. I typically park before the closed off oil and gas small parcel ("birding trailhead") before the first house on east side of CR 57 and across from first house on west side of CR 57. I also view the north end of Loloff Reservoir farther north of the house on east.

I've never been on the oil and gas road on east side of Loloff Reservoir myself.