Red-eyed Vireo, et. al., CSR, El Paso Co, Fri

Steven Brown

May 20, 2022, 3:51:58 PM5/20/22
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hey COBirders,

it was cool, cloudy, damp, and breezy this morning at Clear Spring Ranch - so perfect for moving migrants! I opened pre-dawn and caught 20 birds of 15 species before 7am.
The most diversity I’ve had all spring, and a surprise around every turn. The birds slowed quickly around 9am, and heavier mist followed, but not enough to force closing until 1130. Then it was wet. It was 43o when I arrived, and still 43o when I left 5 1/2 hours later!

63 birds banded today of 28 species. Some Highlights: (SY = second year bird)
FOS 2 W Wood-pewee (both AD)
FOS 2 Dusky Flycatcher (SY)
Willow Flycatcher (SY)
FOS Red-eyed Vireo (SY), in the same net as…
3 Warbling Vireos (SYs)
Recap Hermit Thrush (same one hanging around for 10 days now)
4 Swainson’s Thrush
2 Gray Catbirds
2 Yellow-breasted Chats
9 Chipping Sparrows
4 Lark Sparrows
2 Lincoln’s Sparrows
Song Sparrow (return from 2019)
N Waterthrush (Ad)
MacGillivray’s Warbler (SY F)
Com Yellowthroat (SY M)
Audubon’s Yellow-rumped Warbler (SY F)
2 Yellow Warbler (SY M,F)
Wilson’s Warbler (SY M)
FOS 3 W Tanager (all SY M, same net, same time)
2 Black-headed Grosbeak (Ad M, F)
Blue Grosbeak (Ad F)
2 Lazuli Bunting (Ad F, SY F)
FOS Bullock’s Oriole (SY F)

I doubt if I will be able to open nets over the weekend, we’ll see. 2-6” snow forecast here tonight and tomorrow morning.
Have a good Friday,
Steve Brown
Colo Spgs