One more comment on African Collared-Doves in Colorado

Leon Bright

Mar 25, 2015, 10:09:47 PM3/25/15
to COBIRDS

COBirders,

  In reference to my inquiry in this forum about my photos of a possible African Collard-Dove in my back yard, Paul Hurtado made the following comment (ref: image of dove flying off feeder, to the right).  https://www.flickr.com/photos/brightsfotos/16875527441/in/photostream/

  Ah, I'd missed this photo! That dark outer vane of the outer tail feather, extending past the rest of the dark base to the tail feathers, looks good for Eurasian Collared-Dove (these outer vanes are pale in African CDs).”

  Paul believes this pale dove is within the plumage range of ECDOs.  However, Ted Floyd’s admonition that Colorado ECDOs could carry African Collared-Dove genetic material could still be warranted.

Leon Bright, Pueblo