Continuing crossbills

preston...@gmail.com

May 27, 2023, 1:45:42 PM5/27/23
to Colorado Birds
We've had a flock of red crossbills on our feeder (black sunflower seed) everyday for 2.5 months now (draining it daily now). Pine Brook Hills, Boulder, County. I've had them stop by over the years, but never stay for more than a few days, and typically just when it's be cold.

I'm curious if anyone else is seeing that same thing?

Preston
Boulder, CO

DAVID J WALTMAN

May 27, 2023, 4:00:02 PM5/27/23
to preston...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
I’ve had a flock at my feeders for about three weeks.  I generally report  25 on eBird but there could be twice that.  In the fall of 2007 I had up to 150 over a period of a few weeks.
David Waltman
6,000 feet; ponderosa pine foothill’s 1/2 way between Boulder and Lyons.
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/a5908501-be61-4450-adea-77e5fa7b1506n%40googlegroups.com.

Jeff Kehoe

May 28, 2023, 11:26:04 PM5/28/23
to Colorado Birds
I've had them every day since April 11th. Usually around 20, sometimes 40. I'm in the Big Thompson canyon west of Loveland, East of Drake. Looks like they are eating sunflower chips.

Preston Sowell

May 29, 2023, 11:25:38 AM5/29/23
to COBIRDS
Thanks for the reply. Is this a normal occurrence at your feeders?

--
Preston Sowell
303-775-6920 (cell)

This communication may contain confidential or legally privileged information, including confidential - attorney work product material prepared in connection with litigation.  If you have received this message in error, please notify me immediately and delete the communication.  Any disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of the contents of this communication is prohibited.

Jeff Kehoe

May 29, 2023, 1:57:53 PM5/29/23
to Colorado Birds
This spring is the first I've ever seen them in 7 years up here. The numbers seem to be a little lower than originally, but they're here every day.

Casey Setash

May 29, 2023, 4:13:09 PM5/29/23
to Colorado Birds
I've had a flock of about 15-20 in my yard/around my neighborhood just south of Spring Canyon Park in Fort Collins for the last couple of months as well. This is the first year since I've lived in this house (2017) that I've noticed them in the spring. I've been wondering whether others have been seeing them this late, so I'm glad you mentioned it!

Wayne and Robin Jasper

May 29, 2023, 4:13:10 PM5/29/23
to Jeff Kehoe, Colorado Birds
We had about 15 Sunday morning on our feeders in Allenspark (Boulder Co, 8500 ft). First time to have that many. We’ll see if they stay around!

Robin Allison Jasper
Boulder Co.
Sent from my iPhone

On May 28, 2023, at 9:26 PM, Jeff Kehoe <jeff....@gmail.com> wrote:

I've had them every day since April 11th. Usually around 20, sometimes 40. I'm in the Big Thompson canyon west of Loveland, East of Drake. Looks like they are eating sunflower chips.

Preston Sowell

May 29, 2023, 6:01:55 PM5/29/23
to Colorado Birds
The other thing that I've found surprising about these guys is that they seem to be the least timid visitors to my feeder as well. I've had a bird or two actually stay sitting on the feeder as I pulled it to refill. It's provided some great opportunities to make portraits of these birds that I usually only observe in the tops of trees. See attached.

Red crossbill female portrait_1_May 2023.JPG
Red crossbill male portrait_1_May 2023.JPG

Jeff Kehoe

May 29, 2023, 9:07:26 PM5/29/23
to Colorado Birds
Yes. My 7 year old granddaughter & I have both gotten within 4 feet of them on my tray feeder.