Bird Conservancy of the Rockies - Barr Lake Banding Report, 10-21-21

Meredith McBurney

Oct 21, 2021, 7:15:08 PM10/21/21
to Colorado Birds
Today was one of the more interesting days of this season.  We caught 23 new birds (first day we've been in the 20s since Sept 18!  Sigh.......).

This included 21 new and 2 returns (a White-crowned Sparrow banded in 2019 and an Oregon Junco banded during a training session at the Nature Center feeders on 3/9/20).

Our new birds included a FOS American Tree Sparrow, the first caught at the station since 2008.  We have not caught them in recent years because we have been closing earlier in October; one of several reasons for extending the season this year was to catch late fall migrants.  We also caught a stunning White-winged Junco, the first since 2016.

Here's the breakdown:

American Tree Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 2
Lincoln's Sparrow 2
White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's 7 new, 1 return
White-crowned Sparrow, Mountain 1
Dark-eyed Junco, Slate-colored 1
Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon 4 new, 1 return
Dark-eyed Junco, Pink-sided 2
Dark-eyed Junco, White-winged 1

Only 2 days left in the season (we will take the station down at the end of banding on Saturday, 10/23).  Click here to register to visit - we are offering one-hour slots (up to 12 visitors at a time); 8:30-9:30 tomorrow, and 9-10 and 10-11 on Saturday.  Between new and recaps, there is usually something interesting to see, so come visit us in these final days!

Meredith McBurney
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies