Calliope Hummingbird, Louisville, CO

Paula Hansley

Jul 25, 2021, 11:21:27 AM7/25/21
to CObirds
I have an adult female or juvenile Calliope Hummingbird feeding in my crabapple tree this morning. It is chasing the House Finches away from the tree!

Below is a picture that shows that her wingtips are just slightly longer than her tail:
CalliopeHummer2.jpg

This px shows the whole bird, but it's difficult to compare the wing and tail lengths:
CalliopeHummer.jpg

I had several young hummers show up yesterday afternoon.  They didn't seem to know what a hummingbird feeder is.  Luckily, I have lots of flowers blooming that they can feed on.

Paula Hansley