Merlin, mink, et al White Rocks, Boulder

elena

Feb 20, 2021, 6:06:18 PM2/20/21
to Colorado Birds
On an outing this afternoon at White Rocks Trail east of Boulder we had a merlin (photos available on request, not mine but friend Max Bello’s, with a long lens) an immature bald eagle, a couple of common goldeneye in the creek, and no other avian surprises. The red winged blackbirds have been singing more, though the water was all frozen over and ducks were few. But at the creek just north of Valmont, as the trail heads north, there were two mink actively fishing. One caught a small fish and the other caught a huge fish that was bigger than the mink, it looked like a trout. The mink dragged the still flopping fish off to the side of the creek and into the willows, and then dragged it further away along the creek. Max was able to get photos. It was an exciting end of the trail!

Sent from my iPhone
Elena Holly Klaver
Federally Certified Court Interpreter
Conference Interpreter
English <> Spanish
303 475 5189

Member: American Translators Association
Colorado Translators Association
Pronouns: she, her, hers

I acknowledge that I live in the territory of Hinóno’éí (Arapaho), Cheyenne and Ute Nations, according to the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie, and that Colorado’s Front Range is home to many Native peoples. Reconozco que vivo en el territorio de las naciones Hinóno’éí (Arapaho), Cheyenne y Ute, según el 1851 Tratado de Fort Laramie, y que el estado de Colorado al esté de las Montañas Rocosas es territorio de muchos pueblos indígenas.

Charles Hundertmark

Feb 20, 2021, 7:30:33 PM2/20/21
to Ellen Klaver, Cobirds
Not as exciting as the merlin or mink, but Elena’s mention of the singing blackbirds reminded me that along Boulder Creek and at Walden Ponds this morning the Red-winged Blackbirds were both singing and calling. I noticed several when singing were puffing themselves up and arching the wings as is typical during breeding season. The hormones are returning.

Chuck Hundertmark
Lafayette, CO