Report from a Colorado birding "annex"

DAVID A LEATHERMAN

Oct 21, 2021, 12:06:40 PM10/21/21
to COBIRDS
For what it's worth in the way of informing Colorado birders, the first four individual birds I laid eyes on yesterday at the Wyoming Hereford Ranch on the eastern edge of Cheyenne were:

Golden-crowned Kinglet (f)
Fox Sparrow (slate-colored)
White-throated Sparrow (2 adult tan-striped)

All were in the buckthorn hedge near the unmarked "Office" at the north end of the long, cottonwood-lined drive entryway as one enters the property from Campstool Road.  This hedge is always worth careful scrutiny, as is the "yard" all the way around the building.

Away from the buildings, as has been true of most "wild" areas this fall, I saw very little else. The riparian area along flowing Crow Creek north of the farm buildings and residences was particularly devoid of life.  Where are the birds?

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins