Magpie nest building activities - Arapahoe

Jared Del Rosso

Jan 21, 2023, 12:01:02 PM1/21/23
to Colorado Birds
A minute or two ago, while I was looking at the sadness of withered penstemon leaves beneath the snow in my Centennial yard, a magpie flew by carrying sticks. The magpie stopped in a neighbor's tree, but then flew on.

Usually, I don't notice nest building activities among magpies until February, but I suspect this is because I don't closely attend to them.

Also -- a White-throated Sparrow persists in my yard. I have occasional visits from Cassin's Finches.

I birded the Canal in Cherry Hills Village yesterday. It was quieter than it's been lately. Driving home, I spotted a flock of 100+ waxwings along the Canal off of Belleview (west of University), but I wasn't able to stop and track them down.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

Jared Del Rosso

Jan 21, 2023, 12:53:24 PM1/21/23
to Colorado Birds
While attending to my yard (again, just a few minutes ago), a large flock -- estimated at 250, but based on Gregg's previous post, likely more -- of Bohemian Waxwings flew over me, northward. I'm going to drive around looking for them. My best guess is that they ended up somewhere near the High Line Canal (deKoevend Park or up on Orchard).

I've been hoping for just such an encounter -- though I hoped they'd land. Birders have been reporting large flocks of Bohemians along the Big Dry Creek, which is about a mile from my home. I happened to be outside, spreading trumpet vine seeds and staring at the neighbor's dog, when the flock flew over.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO