Cassia Crossbills continue at Rock Creek Trail

David Suddjian

Jul 26, 2022, 6:19:07 PM7/26/22
to Colorado Birds
Our DFO field trip was successful in enjoying the Cassia Crossbills at Rock Creek Trail, and even more Type 2 Red Crossbills. We didn't have other types of Red, or White-winged, either. In our experience today the crossbills were active and calling a lot until 9:30 am, and were much less evident after that. Today was sunny and pleasant. I'm glad we were at the trail by 7:40 am.

I include a recording that has both Type 2 Red Crossbill and Cassia Crossbills. The latter begin calling at 36 sec. into the recording when a small group flew in, their lower 'chut' calls mingling with sharper 'kip' of the Reds.. And a pic of one of our Cassia's by participant Ginny Bergstrom.
Cassia Crossbill.JPG

We encountered about 20 Cassia at 0.3-0.4 mile up the Rock Creek Trail, and then we had at least 9 more Cassia as singles or small groups from 0.5-0.8 mile. They responded well to my Nor. Pygmy-Owl imitation, and that seemed to draw in the first group we had. I think we also had Cassia at the main trailhead parking lot, and further down at two places as we drove up, but we were unable to document these. Type 2 Reds were more numerous for us on the Rock Creek Trail, with at least 46 noted. There were numerous juveniles of both species, esp. among the Type 2 Reds.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO

7-26-22 RECR2 and CACR Rock Creek Trail.m4a